Engine Inline 258 Oil Leaks

Engine Inline 258 Oil Leaks

Kevind79cj

Jeeper
Donator
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1979 jeep cj 258 I6 T150 3 speed
Okay, so I know that you should never drive a CJ thats not leaking oil, but mine is leaking a bit too much on the driver side, it appears to be flowing from the freeze plug closest to firewall My understanding is freeze plugs leak coolant not oil must be above that but valve cover looks tight. I am running dye in system And do not see VCG leaks On passenger side, front half of block is dry rear half is soaked below head AGAIN VCG looks good. Oil drips from bell housing, flowing down face of inspection plate like a RMS. I just replaced RMS and oil pan gasket, though driveshaft did show slight wear.

Where do 258 inline sixes leak from? Any ideas

Any where and every where.

If it's on top of the head best guess would be valve cover possibly breather (blow by)

As far as valve cover being tight that doesn't mean the gasket is any good. Also are you using a plastic valve cover (factory) or an aftermarket aluminum one?

Sent from my E7110 using Tapatalk

Any where and every where.

If it's on top of the head best guess would be valve cover possibly breather (blow by)

As far as valve cover being tight that doesn't mean the gasket is any good. Also are you using a plastic valve cover (factory) or an aftermarket aluminum one?

Sent from my E7110 using Tapatalk
Valve cover is oe stamped steel and appeared fairly straight when laid on a flat surface i have dye in the oil and cannot see oil oozing from the valve cover. I used the thicker cork fel pro gasket. I dont have an inch pound torque wrench. I tried to get to 12-15 inch pounds by feel.

How often do you typically have to replace VCG? Would wear on the crankshaft cause leaking with a new RMS?

On the passenger side, the head is dry The oil is on the block and starter

Thanks for helping

Mine has a small leak at the distributor and oil sending unit that is keeping my starter from rusting. Leaks enough to keep things rust free, but rarely drips on the shop floor, so I leave it be. When it comes to VC gaskets, I've never had good luck with cork so I use the FePro blue silicone ones with great sucsess so far

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks