In tank High Pressure Fuel pump Prototype Sending Unit

In tank High Pressure Fuel pump Prototype Sending Unit

ThisGuyUKnow

Full Time Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1986 CJ7 Laredo 4.0,Nv3550,D300 Twin Stick,AMC20 3.31, 31 BFG
Honda vtx1800c
Onlyinajeepcj and I made an intank hi pressure fuel pump set up the other day. Ed did most of the work to give credit where it is due.

There is one in tank setup I know of for sale commercially for over 250 bucks and it is basically a CJ sending unit that has had the pick up tube cut and has a pump dangling loose from it.

We wanted the pump to more firmly mounted So we took a YJ unit from a part out and basically miniaturized it to fit the CJ unit.

This is the YJ unit.
http://www.quadratec.com/Assets/Imag...0/47260-lg.jpg

For the power hookup to the pump I cannibalized the sending unit hookup from another CJ unit and placed it in the top of the unit.

We took the brace return tube and the pump mount from the YJ unit and then Ed did some welding and reshaping. Extended the return tube. Tacked the brace between the low and high pressure tubes. The pump mount had to be reshaped slightly to clear the CJ tank hole.

Pics attached below. The whole unit is very stiff but the base at the top is significantly smaller than whats on the YJ and Xjs so we are going to drop the tank in a few months and check out the wear on the tank itself and the unit. Overall I thought it turned out pretty good. We didnt clean up all the welds perfectly because it goes in the tank and will never be seen.

That looks like some great work, I am sure you are going to use it for a fuel injection conversion. I was not able to get a look of the pump from Quadratec though, Could you post up another one? or at least a part #. I am still using an external electrical pump, but am always considering a switch to an in tank type. I have noticed that some of these 4wd outfits offer a stainless steel in tank filter for the CJ and would consider that since I did have an aftermarket one clog up on me right when I did not want that to happen. Thanks for posting that.

That looks like some great work, I am sure you are going to use it for a fuel injection conversion. I was not able to get a look of the pump from Quadratec though, Could you post up another one? or at least a part #. I am still using an external electrical pump, but am always considering a switch to an in tank type. I have noticed that some of these 4wd outfits offer a stainless steel in tank filter for the CJ and would consider that since I did have an aftermarket one clog up on me right when I did not want that to happen. Thanks for posting that.

A part number? ? We made this from an oem cj unit and oem yj unit. Just use the brackets and braces .

What p/n I was interested in was the YJ unit. I think I have heard of this conversion before and it was made from a YJ four cyl. pump/sending unit?

What p/n I was interested in was the YJ unit. I think I have heard of this conversion before and it was made from a YJ four cyl. pump/sending unit?

Well you don't need the yj unit. We just used parts from it. I'd assume you could grab any 4.0 unit from the junkyard.
In my case I parted out a 95 wrangler.

ThisGuyUKnow how are you doing? Havent heard from you in a long time. How did your fuel pump work out on the CJ tank?

ThisGuyUKnow how are you doing? Havent heard from you in a long time. How did your fuel pump work out on the CJ tank?

I bought a jku...... Le gasp!!!!!!!

The fuel pump is great. It's quiet and it functions just as a stock pump , it was a much better option than the frame mounted out board.

I bought a jku...... Le gasp!!!!!!!

The fuel pump is great. It's quiet and it functions just as a stock pump , it was a much better option than the frame mounted out board.

Sweet.... not a fan of the frame mount either. Now you will have to trade in the JKU for the new pickup they are supposed to release :chug:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks