ignition upgrade

ignition upgrade

markfitton

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
CJ 7 1978 imported to israel I think but now in Egypt.
Thinking of splashing out on the Msd ignition, coil, distributor ad leads, about $800 . Is this all plug and play and is it worth it? its on my 1977 CJ7 with a 232 engine.

cheers

mark
MSD Digital 6AL Ignition Control Box

Fits All Jeeps (With Single Coil Ignition)
Item: MSD6425
$297.99
$297.99
MSD Performance Coil Bracket

All Jeep Models
Item: MSD8213
$8.99
$8.99
MSD Distributor For AMC Jeep 232, 258 4.0L

1965-1990 Jeep 6 Cyl (Must Use MSD6520)
Item: MSD8516
$375.99
$375.99
MSD Super Conductor Spark Plug Wire Set Multi-Angle
$95.99
$95.99

Ouch! Seems pretty spendy.

Hers what I'm running and love it.

Jeep HEI's

Starts faster. Never a miss.

bloody right its spendy, what ignition and coil are you running with that.?

jeep is in egypt so I need something easy to install that works well with no problems.

anybody else?

It's a 1 wire distributor that uses GM cap, coil & pickup.

Been with many that have MSD problems. . .

I use the TFI team rush upgrade with the MSD 6a. a spark that will light a camp fire and mine is waterproof.:D
you will need a stock 79 or newer distributor with new cap, rotor and wires.
check it out.:cool:

bloody right its spendy, what ignition and coil are you running with that.?

jeep is in egypt so I need something easy to install that works well with no problems.

anybody else?
All I've done so far is replace the distributor cap with the ford 300 cap and new plug wires and gapped the plugs to .045 and have seen a big difference in starting and power. I'd start with the cap and adapter, rotor and plug wires and gap the plugs,total cost was $65, not sure what shipping would be. Theres the Team rush sticky at the top of the drivetrain section that is great. Then replace as you go my next step is the coil, and work back to the igntion module. That is my plan. I wouldn't mess with replacing the the whole distributor unless you want to, then I would just go with replacing it with hei. :):chug:

Last edited:
All I've done so far is replace the distributor cap with the ford 300 cap and new plug wires and gapped the plugs to .045 and have seen a big difference in starting and power. I'd start with the cap and adapter, rotor and plug wires and gap the plugs,total cost was $65, not sure what shipping would be. Theres the Team rush sticky at the top of the drivetrain section that is great. Then replace as you go my next step is the coil, and work back to the igntion module. That is my plan. I wouldn't mess with replacing the the whole distributor unless you want to, then I would just go with replacing it with hei. :):chug:
This is what I did plus changed the coil with a msd master blaster coil works great and got it all at Napa for about $150.

I don't think the 78 distributor will carry the Fort cap, rotor and adapter. I think he has a Prestolite POS dizzy you both have motor craft.:cool:

This is what I did plus changed the coil with a msd master blaster coil works great and got it all at Napa for about $150.

+1 on any GM coil in cap HEI. Cap and rotor are common. same with the modules. You need to buy different plug wires, and put a AMC 360 dist gear on it, but that's it. Ebay and other online guys do that work for you. 150 to 200 USD.

Very reliable. Very predictable lifespan of it's parts. 100 USD gets you brand new spares for anything you could need to replace. Very easy to trouble shoot. Relatively easy to install. Easy to time.

Connect four wires to a relay to power it at it's best. No need to splice, or cut into your existing harness if you don't want to.

Vacuum line to manifold vacuum port.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks