Trans Help with correct transmission mount

Trans Help with correct transmission mount

cglax6

Senior Jeeper
Lifetime Supporter
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
'76 CJ5, 351w, Ford T18/D20, D44 (open), D30 (open), 2.5" BDS spring lift, 31x10.5x15 tires
Looking for a little help here. Finishing up my 351w and Ford T18/Dana 20 install...

Got the transmission installed on the engine, ordered what I thought would be the correct transmission mount. The holes match up on the adapter plate and skid plate correctly. I knew I was going to drill some new holes in the skid plate to mount to the frame because of the engine swap. Not my concern...

My issue is how tall the transmission mount is. It's about 2" high and I can't jack up the transmission high enough to get the skid plate on the frame. There's a good 1" gap between the skid plate and the frame.

I previously had a 304 and T18/Dana 20. My rear axle was clocked up to point the rear pinion at the output yoke on the Dana 20 and I had a double cards drive shaft from Tom Woods back there.

As it sits now, the output yoke of the Dana 20 is about an inch too high to make the geometry work.

Do I have the wrong transmission mount? Is there a shorter one out there? Has anyone made their own mount?

Any input is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Attachments

• PXL_20201006_001257609.jpg
    PXL_20201006_001257609.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 22
Poly mounts always seem to be thicker (taller ) than the rubber mounts. See if you can find out how thick the rubber mount would be, I went with stock rubber for that reason.

I couldn't find actual dimensions online, so I just went ahead and ordered one. It was only $10, and if I don't use it, I'll return it. If it's significantly shorter, I'll probably use it.

I messed around with the height of the transmission last night and took some more measurements. If I leave the poly mount on, I can get away with 1-1/4" spacers between the skid plate and frame and have correct geometry for the rear driveline. I can live with that.

In the near future, I'll probably cut down the transmission mounting surface on the skid plate by that same amount and weld on a plate so I can raise the skid plate back to flush. I don't want to do it now because I'd like to finish this project and get the dang thing running. I'm taking it in later this week to get exhaust run...don't want to delay any more.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks