Steering Help w/ Tie Rod Length & Adjustment

aggiezig

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1981 Jeep CJ8 Scrambler
1980 Jeep CJ7
Hi Everyone,

New member here with a 1981 Scrambler that we are doing some mild restoration work on. I ordered a set of brand new Moog tie rod ends and components (ES62L, ES140R & DS911) to replace the worn-out parts that came on the Jeep when we bought it. I noticed that when I took everything apart, the tie rod ends were adjusted "all the way in" meaning the thread were spun all the way into the tie rod, leaving no additional room for toe-in adjustment. I thought that was strange but went ahead with replacing the new parts.

Now, with the new parts in place, I'm at the same situation and having an issue. With the tie rod ends spun all the way "in" meaning max toe-in adjustment, I'm still looking at two front wheels that are approximately 1/4" or so toe-out! I checked the length of the tie rod and it was about 40.5" which seems correct for a narrow track front axle.

Has anyone else run into this issue before? I'm wondering if I'm overlooking something stupid / simple or if maybe these new Moog parts arent made to the right spec.

Worth mentioning, the Jeep does have a Con-Ferr shackle lift. I think it's the 1.75" lift but not 100% sure. I don't know if that would affect tie rod length at all, but wanted to mention it just in case.

Any ideas would be helpful and greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Hi aggiezig, welcome to the site :welcome:

I do not have a good answer for your question, my suspension geometry knowledge is pretty Limited. I know there's a couple folks here that should be able to help you out though.

I'm going to take a wild guess and say that some one might have put a wide track tie rod on the narrow track axle.

If all you need is 1/4" I would take a bit off the ends of the drag link. 1/8" strong off each end shouldn't hurt anything.

The knuckles are correct as far as I know. The thing is, if it were a wide track tie rod, it would be 4" or so too wide. Not just the inch or so I need. So strange...

I used MOOG tie-rods on my 81 last year and had no issues with length. I find it strange, I would either trim them as suggested or contact MOOG for a replacement if you have the time.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks