help remounting skid plate

help remounting skid plate

crust

Active Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
'76/'79 CJ5, '00 cherokee, '94 YJ, '98 altima
Need help identifying and simulating the stock skid plate location on a second gen CJ5. Pics would be the best help. The bolts rusted in the frame and the last guy just hacked them and slapped some angle on the side of the frame and bolted it to that.

Thanks for any assistance

Need help identifying and simulating the stock skid plate location on a second gen CJ5. Pics would be the best help. The bolts rusted in the frame and the last guy just hacked them and slapped some angle on the side of the frame and bolted it to that.

Thanks for any assistance
I'll take some pics when I get home (I have a few odd ones laying around). Do you know the exact year? I know they changed a few times.

Is this the one your looking for?

(click the thumbnail)

The front is to the right in the picture, the four square holes are for the lag bolts where the plate bolts to the transmission / transfercase crossmember and the half round cutout in the front is for drive shaft clearance.

Note the 7 gal can full of $4.50 gallon fuel I bought for the generator during hurricane season. I'll sell the fuel now for only $4.00 a gallon!!! A bargain!!! A savings of $3.50 when you buy all seven gallons!!! Woo Hoo!!!

OK, I should have specified that I've got a '76. It has a skid plate/crossmember all in one. I will try and snap a quick pic tomorrow before the light goes away. Thanks CJ

OK, I should have specified that I've got a '76. It has a skid plate/crossmember all in one. I will try and snap a quick pic tomorrow before the light goes away. Thanks CJ
Ahh, your talking about that big old pan type aren't you. I have access to a 76 CJ so I can get some dims if you need that.

Let me know.

Well it looks like the bolts rusted into the frame. since the guy could not get them out he used a couple pieces of 3x3 angle (one on each side) one to bolt to using the original holes and the other is just bolted to the frame and holding/sandwiching the skidplate to the frame.

Well it looks like the bolts rusted into the frame. since the guy could not get them out he used a couple pieces of 3x3 angle (one on each side) one to bolt to using the original holes and the other is just bolted to the frame and holding/sandwiching the skidplate to the frame.
What did you ever decide to do with this thing? Still need any information or pics?

What did you ever decide to do with this thing? Still need any information or pics?
not sure, the rebuild is on hold for a little bit while I get electrical run to the garage.

Some people can't seem to understand the concept of making things simple. They sit there for a few days and decide that the hardest way is the easiest way in their mind. I definitely wouldn't have gone the route that they did.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom