Misc. Help Install New Rochester Varajet 81' Cj-5 Iron Duke

Misc. Help Install New Rochester Varajet 81' Cj-5 Iron Duke

jhur

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
'81 CJ5
Hey folks,

Could use some help from someone more knowledgeable. I swapped my rochester varajet out with a new one and ran into a couple issues.

1. The carb doesn't return all the way to the starting position when I press the accelerator pedal. It moves a little in the right direction but the fast idle screw is no where near contacting the choke.

2. When I gave it a test start it was idling way too high. Which I believe is because I had the fast idle screw screwed all the way in but I'm not sure.

So I'll add a couple picture to help. Basically I'm not sure if I need a throttle return spring, or if there's a way to tighten the springs already on the carb, etc. Also, I'm not sure if the bracket thing that connects to the accelerator linkage is positioned correctly. The linkage just has a loop that I put over this post but there's nothing to hold it down so I'll be looking to add something there.

I swapped out the same exact carburetor I had for a new one so I thought it would be more straightforward but I'm stuck atm so any help is appreciated, thanks.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Are you missing the return springs?

see if these help
spring1.jpgspring2.jpg

Interesting, thanks for the picture I don’t think I have that. Do you know where I can get that? Also do you know where I can find the piece that the accelerator linkage hooks around? Mine is missing the top part that keeps it on
I am not sure where to get the parts but should be able to make then.

I am not sure what mine is but first I would see at what points on the linkage where you can pull it back to idle and then look to places to hook a spring. Then hunt for a spring, i picked up a pack of assorted springs at a auto parts store. one thing is to use one that requires a lot to pull as you foot will have to hold it without getting to tired.

So in the first picture above I've located where I think the spring should go on one end, but I'm not sure where the other end will hook onto. I'm going to pick up an assortment of return springs from auto parts store today.

In the second picture, I'm wondering if anyone knows how to setup/tune this carb? I'm not sure what the "H" "2" and "L" mean. But I know the jeep was idling wayyy too high on the one start attempt I did with this carb so one of the settings is off.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks