Electrical Heater blower motor

Electrical Heater blower motor

Masscj7

Senior Jeeper
Lifetime Supporter
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1986 CJ7, SBC 350, Dana 300, D30, AMC20
As I meander through the electrical on this I realized a possible dumb one and I think I know the answer. I did the Blazer blower motor upgrade and one thing I didn’t see in write ups and videos is how does it ground? The motor screws into the plastic box, it does go through the metal cover which in turn has a metal stud that goes through the firewall. Is there supposed to be a metal contact between these pieces thus providing ground?

22f050c906d0e4b11f63fb9540aed012.jpg

be09e230829b22b8d0d926409d9cc6cc.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Continuity is questionable in this case. In the lower pic. there is a ground right there to the right of the motor. What does the DVM show?

Just make a jumper to ground. Better safe than sorry. On fiberglass body's you do that to about everything.

The ground on the right is for the tub and passenger head.

So the factory blower motor grounded through the housing touching the tub? And so does the blazer motor ground the same way, through the housing touching ground?

If so, I guess I’ll have to yank the assembly out again and get a wire and ring terminal over one of the mounting screws.

When I installed the blazer motor in my rig, I drilled a small hole near the end of the blower motor and grounded it with a screw and wire.

Scrape a spot on the fan motor and take a ohm meter, connect between the scratch and one of the mounting studs (like the one above the heater core tubes. They are probably welded to the back of the heater box. If you got good continuity run your ground wire to there. That will ground the fan motor.

Caveman,
You actually drilled the motor housing on the engine bay side? That’s interesting. I also thought about whether or not I could solder to it.
If I have continuity from the motor to the stud on the bolt, I guess that would answer my question. If no continuity, I’m back to trying to attach a ground lead to it somehow.

Caveman,
You actually drilled the motor housing on the engine bay side? That’s interesting. I also thought about whether or not I could solder to it.
If I have continuity from the motor to the stud on the bolt, I guess that would answer my question. If no continuity, I’m back to trying to attach a ground lead to it somehow.

Yup. drilled a hole in the casing. Soldering would accomplish the same thing but I'm handier with a drill than a soldering gun.

Will try to get a pic, but rig has been put away for the winter in the back of the barn with a bunch of stuff already piled in front of it. I'll see what I can do.

Don’t bother Caveman,
Found my issue. Corrosion in the fuse block terminal. All good, but thank you for the help. Got enough ground through the mounting plate and studs!

Thank goodness. I thought I was going to have to take the battery and battery holder out to get a decent picture.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks