got some new rims

got some new rims

dalefan88

Crazy Sr. Respected Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
79 cj5 258, t150, dana 20 transfer case, dana 30 front, 20 rear,warn hubs,2.5" procomp lift,teamrush,msd box,mc2100 carb,hedman header,clifford intake,optima battery, ford shock towers.
they are off a old ford truck. i put them on and the back ones are fine. but the front ones are rubbing the caliper. i thought these would work on a cj. if you just put it on it will turn. then i torque the lug nuts down and they wont spine. any ideas? thanks jesse

you might be screwed. Although they are a 5.5 bolt pattern, If the back spacing is incorrect, they just can't be used. Some OE wheels are made with an odd profile that will interfere with the calipers on a diferent vehicle as well.

What size are they. 15x8? I had a d60 front on my old CJ5. The calipers were made to fit inside a 16.5" wheel. I got a GREAT deal on some 15" tires and wheels. I had to grind the calipers a little, but they had a ton of meat that could be ground off and still be thicker than a cj caliper. Don't know if I would do that on a cj caliper. Kind of like these. http://www.4x4wire.com/jeep/tech/brakes/xj_wjbrakes03/48.jpg
You could always go with an 1/8 or 1/4" spacer. But I think we had this discussion before.:D An 1/8" spacer shouldn't hurt much though. You can pick them up fairly cheap at any auto parts store, but you should know that I guess. lol

He's right. It's not uncommon to grind a caliper a little to make it fit to the rim. But you should be careful about how much you remove.

i was thinking about grinding. its not much. then when i go to work tomarrow i was going to check out the 1/8 spacers. the rims are aftermaket alum. nothing special, but look better than the rusty wagon wheels. i got them for a $100 from a guy at work. he had them sitting in hes garage and he has two chevys now. i also got a sony xplode radio off him for $20. now i got tunes for the jeep.

i think there 15x8.

heres some pics.

44197.jpg

where it is rubbing.

44198.jpg

not sure how to put a larger pic on here cj.

i put a pic in my gallery. the tires are 235 75 15 probally dont mean much on how wide the rim is.

Attachments

• galler_insert.jpg
    galler_insert.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 117

think it worked.

I have a couple spacers ( I think they are 1/4 inch) you can have. If your interested, PM me your address and I'll try to get them out.

Looks like spacers will just move the spot where it rubs out a little farther. That part of the rim is flat, if it was hitting in farther where rim takes a step down, spacers might work. Hard to tell by pick. I would try a little light grinding.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks