Good Replacement Master Cylinders

Good Replacement Master Cylinders

Super8mm

Active Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1980 CJ5, 4 cyl, Borg Warner/Ford SR-4 4 spd, Dana 300 transfer case.
Start a heart transplant mid November with LS1 and SM465 :-)
I lost my brakes today and of course I am 350 miles from home.

First thing I checked we the fluid level and all there was in there was rust. I made it to a parts store and got a bottle of fluid and filled it up and I can pump them up enough for this weekend and then tow it home behind my motorhome.

what are some good replacement brand or ones to stay away from. I does have SS lines already but the fluid looks like hot chocolate after pumping the brakes up I will have to flush all the lines.

Always have had good luck with Napa

I will have to call them, all they show on their web site was rebuild stuff

X2 on the NAPA. Probably most are rebuilt these days where ever you get one

I replaced mine in 1998 with a Napa master cylinder and I'm still using it.

Has anyone had to flush their brake system?

after I put brake fluid in and drove it the fluid looks like chocolate milk.

If you have how did you do it, just pull fresh fluid through unit it comes out clear?

The cleanest way to change the fluid would be with one of those brake bleeding tools where you can catch the fluid. If you don't mind the mess you could open the wheel cylinder valves and pump the brake pedal until you get all of the old fluid out.

The cleanest way to change the fluid would be with one of those brake bleeding tools where you can catch the fluid. If you don't mind the mess you could open the wheel cylinder valves and pump the brake pedal until you get all of the old fluid out.

I do have a mighty vac that would work IF I can get the bleeder valves open, if not I will have to pull the cylinder and probably cut the line off??

Worst case is vice grips on the bleeder if it strips with a wrench. Try using a line wrench, it can help minimize stripping. A trick I use on underbody bolts and nuts is to tap the wrench with a hammer, tightening direction first, then try and loosen it. PB Blaster ( or the like) can help too.

I'd never buy a remanufactured master cylinder again.

I purchased a new MC from Napa and recommend.

NMC M2506 (Manual Brakes)

NMC P2506 (Power Brakes)

I'd never buy a remanufactured master cylinder again.
I purchased a new MC from Napa and recommend.
NMC M2506 (Manual Brakes)
NMC P2506 (Power Brakes)

I agree, there are some things I dont trust being rebuilt.

A lot of napa items are now made in Mexico & china. Are you sure it is new and not out of China ?

If you just can't get the bleed valve out a new wheel cylinder is cheap to replace. It's just not worth fighting with it.

If you just can't get the bleed valve out a new wheel cylinder is cheap to replace. It's just not worth fighting with it.

I have new rear's coming as I am adding disk to the rear but I need to clean the chocolate milk looking stuff from the lines first.

I got the axles yesterday and should have the disk brakes in the next 10 days.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks