getting rid of chrome

getting rid of chrome

spokanecj7

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
76 CJ7, 04 Chevy AV, 97 f250 HD
I dropped my cylinder heads off this morning and wont have them back for a few days. I decided to use the spare time to get rid of the chrome grill that the PO put on. It's been bugging me for the longest time and I finally did something about it. This might have been the easiest project I have done in a long time.

Before:

chrome_grill.jpg

After:

black_grill_2.jpg

http://www.jeep-cj.com/gallery/files/2/3/3/chrome_grill.jpg

I'm with you. Some people like them, but I personally never cared for that giant slab of shiny hanging out ther.

I never really liked the chrome thing either , but they do look complimentery on black models. I was even considering one for my CJ8 down the road. Im using all stainless steel hinges and such just to get rid of the old rusted stuff and I think it looks pretty good.

Like it without myself as well. I have no chrome at all on my CJ7, stainless hinges but zero chrome. Like it that way for a rig that sees trail use myself.

It seems like having a lot of chrome is really just a personal preference. Im not a big fan of shiny stuff on jeeps (especially the older ones). I realize a lot of others may like it shiny....to each there own I guess. I am still debating whether to spend the extra cash to replace the hood hinges and latches. The PO had a thing for shiny and Im not sure if it is worth it to change them out. The grill was my main concern.

Growing up the son of a truck driver, I am a fan of chrome. Big chrome bumpers, chrome grills, chrome mirrors, the little chrome mudflap girl

fp2407mud-flap-girl-posters.jpg

It also depends on what you're doing with your rig. If you're going to cruise it, and make some mud runs here and there, sure chrome's cool, but if it's your trail buggy that's full of scratches and dents and so on, then no chrome is the way to go IMHO.

Growing up the son of a truck driver, I am a fan of chrome. Big chrome bumpers, chrome grills, chrome mirrors, the little chrome mudflap girl

It also depends on what you're doing with your rig. If you're going to cruise it, and make some mud runs here and there, sure chrome's cool, but if it's your trail buggy that's full of scratches and dents and so on, then no chrome is the way to go IMHO.

Couldnt agree more. Big rigs look awesome when they are chromed out!! No doubt about it.

:rolleyes: Hummm mud flaps on a jeep w some chrome chicks:D

I bought a ton of polished SS parts for my rebuild. Just because I hate rust - I'll be powder coating most of them though...

I agree though - certain vehicles look great all blinged out in chrome!

Damn that looks GREAT!!!:notworthy:
Now I'm going to have to black out my grill and it's painted the same color as the rest of my jeep.
That's one of the things I love about this site you can get usefull information and good ideas from just looking around.
:chug:

Here in the rust belt stainless is a good thing even if it is shinny. Some colors look better than others with chrome. chrome chicks are always cool.

have to agree it looks x1000,000,000 times better black, But i like everything blackened out so what do I know. :D

I like chrome. I like black.

Black and chrome... Hmmm...

Last summer I spent over $1500 on chrome for a big truck, and that was just bumper, headlights, and a donkey with light up eyes. I think there were the Peterbilt logos with flames too. But when you buy a chrome bumper, you have to buy the firetrucking $35 bolts too.

Ok, chrome is bad.

Chrome on a black jeep is about the only time I like it.
That or if it's free or stupid cheap, cause it can always be painted

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom