Engine Fuel vapors, canister on 79 304 with emissions delete

Engine Fuel vapors, canister on 79 304 with emissions delete

UncleMike

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1979 Jeep CJ-7, 5L
Have a 1979 CJ7 with 304 and Edelbrock AVS2 carb. It is parked in my garage, and the fuel vapors are bad.

PO removed/deleted the emissions systems. The evap canister in still in place, and appears to be hooked up to the fuel tank vent line only; canister is not connected to anything else. EGR removed, air pump removed, and doesn't appear any other components are either functioning or in place. I am really only concerned about dealing with the fuel vapors if i can get away with it, so my house doesn't stink every morning.

I have a separate project planned to replace fuel sender (bad readings), which will be a typical cascade of other related projects (need to weld new rear cross member in place, which is needed for new rear bumper, which i may as well do to hold new spare, which i may as well remove my body lift since i am there anyway, which will likely lead to 30 other projects, etc...etc....) so will be replacing o-ring/lock ring, hoses, and gas cap, plus whatever else needs to be done. I'd like to take this as an opportunity to check/clean tank vent line, recondition/replace the vapor canister and reconnect it.

So...my question is: the fsm diagram has the purge valve from canister going to the switched vac port on the carb, and another "purged vapors" from fuel evap system going into hte manifold vacuum port in the carb (teed in with PCV valve). Can i just plumb the canister ports to the carb vac ports? Do i need another step in there? All i want is to eliminate the fuel smell before my wife gets over her spring allergies and realizes my jeep is stinking up the house. If the only choice is to completely and correctly reinstall the emissions system, so be it, but that is another several projects that will clearly spiral into several more and would like to avoid if possible. Any advice, pics, drawings, or solutions much appreciated.

I installed EFI on my rig and had the same issue of fuel smell when parked due to the gas tank vent going into the vapor canister with no other connection to purge the canister (carb removed). Since I was doing all new stuff anyway (new engine, etc) I also got a new canister. But I didn't need/want the stock connections. I ordered an AC Delco # 215-153 off Amazon. This has only three connections on it. One for the gas tank vent, one for a ported vacuum source ("purge"), and one for open air (air breather or just open). So I connected the stock line from the gas tank vent, via the rollover check valve, to the "tank" connection on the canister, then tee'd the "purge" connection on the canister into a ported vacuum source on the throttle body, then left the included cap on the canister for the open air connection. This cap has a "hood" of sorts to keep water from getting into that connection, but leaves it open to air. No other connections to PCV valve or other switching "tees" in the vacuum lines like stock was originally. Also no need for an air pump to force enough air through the miles of emissions :dung: originally there. I'm in TX, so no requirements for all that stuff like some states may have.

I just eliminated mine and used fuel hose to loop it back to the tank. I have to be careful removing my gas cap due to vapor/pressure but better than fuel smell. For what it's worth I did this while using the MC 2100 but works all the same with my sniper EFI

Sent from my E7110 using Tapatalk

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks