Front driveshaft inversion

Front driveshaft inversion

Patrick

Senior Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
82 CJ5, LS 6.2, NV3550/D300, D44/30

68 CJ5, 350, Muncie/D18, D44/27 under construction
I would like to invert the front driveshaft in order to gain a bit of lateral clearance. This will put the slip joint on the transfer case side. What ill effect will that pose?

I have mine installed that way, its been that way for over a year now. The main reason I did it was to keep it out of muck and grit from the road. The joint is starting get a bit of slop in it so I thought it may help last longer. I haven't experienced any vibrations or strange noises from the swap sofar.

Thanks for that information. I also did think of the added benefit of keeping the slip joint away from road debris and even water splash. Another benefit could be moving the heavy side of the driveshaft away from the unsprung side of the vehicle.

I just can’t reason out why the stock configuration has the slip joint on the bottom. Additional input on this question is appreciated.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks