Forgive me my brothers, lust and sin might be apon m

Forgive me my brothers, lust and sin might be apon m

Hedgehog

Always Off-Roading Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
-1975 Jeep CJ5, 360 V8, Headers, Duel Exhaust,T15 transmission, D-20 Transfer case, Twin Stick Conversion, Warn 8274 Winch
-1951 Willys Wagon, 4 cylinder, "F" head, little rust, very close to stock
Lately I've been looking seriously at moving on from my CJ to a Willys Overland Wagon. I love my CJ5 and I'm not likely to move on anytime soon. But the practicality of a fully enclosed vehicle has a very strong draw for a hunter like myself. Especially down here near the border where roving groups of illegals are constantly heading north toward a theoretically better life. No matter what the media might tell the folks that live in the north, not ALL of them are looking to earn a better life. Some are not above stealing and doing violence while making there way along life's path. ..... OMG that was overly written....

So, have any of you had a Willys Wagon. what were your impressions, the good and the bad. Also, while keeping it Jeep was important to me when working on my CJ. But the door is wide open for a Wagon project. A SBC is definitely appealing along with Chevy or Ford drive train. AC would be nice, even a radio...... The Wagon body would or could be a Willys style shell.

My neighbor bought a willy's wagon with a flathead v8 and he doesn't know what to do with it. I gave him a standing purchase offer and I am just waiting for him to sell it to me. My wife is all about it. For now I just look at it sitting in his back yard all sad waiting for a loving owner like myself.

I've owned at least a half dozen Willys wagons and about a dozen Willys trucks. The wagons are roomy and the later flathead six is plenty of engine IMO. I would recommend upgrading the brakes.

Oh my that's a bunch of Vehicles. I tend to squeeze every bit of , "I give a darn" out of my vehicles before moving them on so my vehicles tend to stay with me for very long periods of time. How is the ride quality? Are they horribly rattily vehicles? How strong is the transmission, can it take the power of a SBC for instance.

Oh my that's a bunch of Vehicles. I tend to squeeze every bit of , "I give a darn" out of my vehicles before moving them on so my vehicles tend to stay with me for very long periods of time.
and others buy non-running Jeeps
Then repair/restore where otherwise it would have been scrapped
Use, until there is a need to save another one

How is the ride quality? Are they horribly rattily vehicles?
The newest wagon is over 50 years old, they rattle, and ride like most older 4x4, although better then a Willys truck or early CJ5.

How strong is the transmission, can it take the power of a SBC for instance.
The T-90 is plenty strong for it's intended use, but not for a sbc

Buyin' em and fixin'em is cool, if you can do it, it sounds like fun. I've never had the kind of money it takes to do it right.

I was wondering about the rattle factor because I remember some of the older vehicles seemed to be born rattle traps, some of the old Scouts with metal tops come to mind.

So, if a wagon were to be modernized it would take a donor vehicle like a 4wd pick-up to do it right. Going 1/2 way would be a mistake.

After looking around some what would the going rate be to purchase a decent Wagon? There are a lot of them that are set up the way I'd like to have one. The question would be in how well they were put together I suppose.

It really depends on your area and condition of the vehicle.
I would recommended checking out CL and ebay for a few weeks just to get a going price in your area. I would think you could find some nice wagons in your neck of the woods.

Looks like a viable breaking point is around $5,000. Some bodies that need engines and such go for less, fancied up wagons for more to considerably more. There is one back east that draws my attention. The body is good, the inside is completely modern. It looks like someone took a modern suburban and transplanted the plush insides to the Wagon. Unfortunately there is no engine or transmission. The engine bay looks like a previously stolen vehicle where it was found after the engine was stripped out. If I were closer to Alabama ..... or was it Georgia it would be worth looking into.

I too have sinned, and it felt so good. I still have not got a build plan for this one. could go full restoration or off the chain hot rod. I am building the shop of my dreams right now and have to stay focused on that. Looking to pick up on this and my 2A as soon as that is up.:D

Yes, that is snow. drove to Little Rock to pick it up in what we refer to as a snow storm. It was quite the adventure.

One of our plow rigs was a Jeep pickup. I drove it quite a bit and fortunately or unfortunately it cured any urge to buy one for myself. Why? Honestly I can't come up with an answer to that one. Other than it was difficult to start, but if it were driven more frequently it might have been better.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom