Fluids replacement

Fluids replacement
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1979 CJ7, 304 with headers, cam, intake manifold, and Edelbrock carb, T-18a, D20, D30, AMC20
Hey y’all, first post and just got my first CJ yesterday. 1979 CJ7 with NO RUST woohoo. I have wanted one since I was a kid and now I’m 37. Happy birthday to me haha.

My truck is in decent shape but the PO couldn’t recall when he last replaced fluids for axles, tranny, xfer case, etc. He had the CJ for like 14 years but only took it out of the garage 3-4 times per year for a night out. So only 1,000 miles since 2006. He did change the engine oil every six months.

Anyway, I need to find out the correct replacement fluids for the following:
AMC 304 (10w-30 I guess, but any favorites? I have used Mobil 1 in my other vehicles is that good for these older engines?)
T-18a
Dana 20 xfer case (Pretty darn hard to shift this bad boy it may be dry)
Dana 30 front axle
AMC20 rear axle

I want to use the highest quality fluids with wide availability. So no Amsoil but you know, good stuff that I can get locally without going on a hunt.

Anything I should do/look for while I am replacing those? I also am replacing the broken front hubs, anything that is a “might as well while your in there” thing I should do? I was going to count the gearing since I think it’s been regeared. 33x12.5s and they roll real easy, and I feel like I am already into 4th pretty soon.

Thank you all for your help! I’m sure this is one of many posts and I really appreciate this community.

Last edited:
I was able to figure things out.

Went with Mobil 1 15w30 in the engine.

50 weight conventional in the tranny and transfer case.

And 80w90 in the rear axle. Next weekend I will do the front axle and replace broken hubs as well.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks