Electrical EZ Wiring Harness Questions

Electrical EZ Wiring Harness Questions

aglinks

Active Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
‘83 CJ7, 4.8L Vortec, TF999, D300, AMC20, D30
I am finally getting around to re-wiring my jeep. I am planning to go with the EZ Wiring 12 circuit harness. I have a standalone EFI harness for my LS from Tilden, so I will be working on everything else. Does anyone have any experience with the EZ harness?

Never used them but I have seen reviews where they are OK.

Is this going to be a very custom harness or a generic where you will modify?

I got the basic 12 circuit harness. It will run everything on the chassis. I have a stand-alone harness from Tilden for the LS.

I am tying into my factory headlight harness (its clean looks good) and there is an extra orange wire. Not sure what its for. I have connected high beam, low beam, parking lamps, right turn, and left turn.

I figured out the unknown orange wire but now have a worse problem. When I connect the main power to test circuits, it sparks and blows the main fuse. I took my time connecting all the wires to make sure nothing went where it shouldn’t. What would cause this?

Only one thing will do that: short to ground somewhere. Did you package the wires inside a wire loom? When pulling wire through a hole, could you have scratched the insulation off? This can easily happen. Do you have a complete wiring diagram of your vehicle to check for correct connections. If you don't find anything after checking all of this, you will need a volt/ohm meter and have to check each circuit.

Dammit. Shouldn't it blow the fuse for whatever individual circuit is affected? Rather than the main power?

How are you doing your testing? A DVM or just by the hip? You should be testing without power applied so the circuits are safe and no chance of a fire.

Have ever heard of a Power Probe? One of the best electrical trouble shooting tools I have purchased.

They are in my store.

Link -->> https://jeep-cj.com/community/pages/misc/

Power Probe's are awesome and something I would love to buy. I tested the circuits via test light between the negative terminal and the negative battery cable. Even with all the fuses, flashers, and horn relay removed, I still get current draw at the negative post. So there is a short and I dont know how to isolate it.

OK, I have been a (retired) electrical engineer (grandfathered in to my Aerospace career) and did work for just lets say - forever.

Trouble shooting you 83 is going to easy (wish you had a cheap Walmart / Auotozone / Lowes / Homedepot any analog meter. But it needs to be able to measure current NOT voltage.

The test light can work the same way but it is harder to read.

1) So, 83 has harnesses you can disconnect firewall especially. (even at the rear and under.)
2) Disconnect all that you can find. Check again.
3) Light glows = residual leakage. = find all connected circuits. Glowing brighter is more amperage pull.

You get the jest but you need to disconnect EVERYTHING. You may even have a bad ground to a circuit that you don't know about.

Do you have a FSM for your 83 (not a Chiltons?) If not I think we have one available.

FSM for 82 FSJ, should be the same for 83 CJ.

Attachments

• 1982 TSM.pdf
    162.6 MB · Views: 46
Just the wiring diagram.

Attachments

• Part 4 Wiring Diagrams.pdf
    3.3 MB · Views: 22
I found it! A wire was pinched when I bolted the panel to the firewall.

Attachments

• Wire Pinch.PNG
    Wire Pinch.PNG
    1 MB · Views: 34
CJ was looking for that type of manual to rewire my CJ5
thankyou for posting them

Great. :chug:

As for the manuals I'm in the process of uploading about 200 files to our Resource section.
Manuals and Docs are uploaded. Now to separate them as they are 10 attachments per 20 Articles.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks