Exhaust manifolds verses header

Exhaust manifolds verses header

1moreshot

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1976 CJ-5 AMC 304 5.0 L 3 speed Dana 30 Front Axle. AMC-20 Rear Axle
We have taken the old rusted out headers off and I'm thinking going back with manifolds. Can anyone advise me on the pros & cons of the two. Also I live in Texas and I'm looking for manifolds.

Thanks

Headers will create a better exaust flow, but use up a lot more room and give off a lot of heat. Probably good for a hot rod but not a rock crawler. Just my .02

i have done both...prefer headers for three reasons
1. i have fenderwell exit so it makes more room inbetween my frame i dont have to deal with the gas tank or frame to route it out
2. with the exaustbieng outside...makes trail repairs easier....no hot exaust to burn my hands on
3. i didnt have to pay an exaust shop to do anything and it was cheap. i bought mine from summit...headers and purple hornies for about 200 shipped to my door

some people really like the manifolds i dont know the pros to that maybe someone else can enlighten us...i would really like to know that two considering i have had to replace more doughnut gaskets then header gaskets

I run Edelbrock shorty headers on my 401. They take up the same space as the stock manifold. I think they flow a lot better than stock. I use the stock three piece manifold gaskets and have had better luck with them than the so called header gaskets, that always blew out. For collector gaskets I use copper for the same reason as manifold gaskets, copper doesn't blow out. I don't think headers are any hotter than stock manifolds. Also I'm using stage 8 header bolts.

Last edited:
Thanks guys, that gives me something to work with now. I'm sure I'll need more advise as we move forward.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks