Electronic rust prevention?

Electronic rust prevention?

projectcrawler

Senior Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
78 CJ7
Anti-electrolysis... Can it work? Maybe. Does it work? Probably, but and entire vehicle? I doubt it. Why do you need a special 2oz bottle of paint sealant to go with it? A looked on the net and found three specific questions/ reviews in four years... All but one were on JC Whitney's site. I would say auto makers would be all over this if it worked.

I would say the old adage rings true here, you get what you pay for... (snake oil)

BTW - we use a method like this in our wire EDM machine here at work. As long as a piece of metal is submerged in the water tank and the machine is functioning. It will not rust. Once you remove it from the water or it is only partially submerged - rust city. It uses anti-electrolysis technology... :) Here is an old article but still relevant... Mitsubishi EDM makes anti-electrolysis power supply standard on all new wire EDM models | Modern Machine Shop | Find Articles at BNET

I figured it probably wouldn't be able to do the whole frame. I have a fiberglass body, and I am a very efficient person. I like low maintenance. If I can do a little now to avoid redoing something later, I will. I was hoping since the gee whiz machine didn't have to work on the body, maybe its job would be a little easier and possibly work. Think I'll spend the money on better prep for the por15.
BTW: Speaking of electrolysis. Did you ever try using washing soda and a battery charger with some metal to remove rust from pitted parts. I used it on my last motorcycle build and it worked pretty well. Takes about a day or two. Nice thing is, unlike sanding, it removes primarily the rust. If something is pitted, you don't have to sand until pits disappear and weaken the part. I saw an article on the internet where a guy did a whole trailer in a tub he made from plywood and tarps. Don't think I'd try it, but interesting.

Last edited:
I have done the electrolysis(sp) method for motorcycle parts using washing soda and a battery charger. Takes a few days to work, but works well. It tends to remove the loose stuff(rust) without removing the metal. If you sand or wire brush rust, you either can't get it in the pitted areas, or you have to remove material which weakens the part. Not good on motorcycle parts.

My cousin did all that stuff to his camaro. It worked great till it rusted out. :D While the body on my CJ went to hell, the frame is as solid as ever. Once or twice a year I just shove the hose in the holes in the frame to slush out the :dung:, and good to go. Seems to me that if this stuff was the answer to rust, every antique and classic car would be sportin it. Not to mention manufacturers at least adding it as an option on new car sales. My cousin is now convinced It's snake oil indeed.

My cousin is now convinced It's snake oil indeed

Does he happen to know where I can get some of that snake oil? :D

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom