Misc. electric or clutch fan?

Misc. electric or clutch fan?

Armyvet25

Beach Runner
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
06 TJ, 83 CJ7, 2012 JKU, 1995 YJ
My TJ7 project requires some radiator and shroud mods, doable but I have a generic kinda question, those of you running 6 cyl in your jeeps, have you modified to an electric fan or do you prefer the clutch style? My other Jeeps with the electric fan never had an issue, but my current jeep has the clutch style, I know the factory and it's wisdom bla bla bla should be the way to go, but it would help me with spacing. Any loss going with electric? Seems to me the clutch style might be more efficient as it's closer proximity to the engine might benefit in overall cooling whereas the electric seems to primarily cool the radiator and clutch fan does that plus push maybe push more air over the engine itself. Thoughts?
Thanks

Long story short, I like both...
For convince just keep what you got but if you'd like to go the electric rout a Countour fan is the way to go. It's the most popular electric option.
Couple threads / posts with numbers...

Thread 'Contour Dual Fan'

I use a Contour fan setup in mine. Works great. Readily available, very low profile, dual speeds, easy setup.

Big discussion right now about this on another forum I’m on. Several have the electrical and having problems with some of the controllers and getting the both to work separate. As in one working, and 2nd when need. Also it matters which radiators work and don’t for clearances. I bought a really nice one 2 core and didn’t fit. Not enough room between radiator and any blade with clutch. Probably would have worked with fan blade without clutch. Got a good lesson for that one. I got the correct one from Summit and very happy with my fan with clutch. 2 temperature gauges and never been above 205 degrees

Big discussion right now about this on another forum I’m on. Several have the electrical and having problems with some of the controllers and getting the both to work separate. As in one working, and 2nd when need. Also it matters which radiators work and don’t for clearances. I bought a really nice one 2 core and didn’t fit. Not enough room between radiator and any blade with clutch. Probably would have worked with fan blade without clutch. Got a good lesson for that one. I got the correct one from Summit and very happy with my fan with clutch. 2 temperature gauges and never been above 205 degrees
When I put my SBC engine in, the clearance was so close that no mechanical fan, clutch or not, was going to fit. This was also compounded because I moved the engine a bit forward due to the longer drive train with an auto trans and x-fer case adaptor all adding to it. The Contour fan fits snug between my 3-core aluminum rad and the water pump nose (about 1" of space). The Contour fan setup is two fans built into the shroud along with the resistor block to support dual speeds. So shroud, fans, resistors, and all brand new from Amazon. They even have the special connectors to wire it all up. All you need to add is either a controller with temp probe or, like in my case, an ECM that enables the fans based on programmable temp settings. I turn them on half speed (using the built-in resistors) at 165 and full speed at 180. I do hit about 190-195 on a really hot day on the freeway at 70mph.

I was looking at one of these, low profile
View attachment 86452
I tried two of those. The first one froze up soon after I installed it and never did keep the engine cool. I figured there must have been something wrong with the first one to not keep it cool so I bought a second. That one didn't keep it cool either so I went back to a clutch fan. I've heard a lot of good reports on the contour fan but couldn't get my hands on one locally when I needed it.

I tried two of those. The first one froze up soon after I installed it and never did keep the engine cool. I figured there must have been something wrong with the first one to not keep it cool so I bought a second. That one didn't keep it cool either so I went back to a clutch fan. I've heard a lot of good reports on the contour fan but couldn't get my hands on one locally when I needed it.
I was also looking at the Challenger electric fans for the 5.7, if not too large may go that route if I can't make the clutch fan work.

My fan was brand new from Amazon vs. used from a local pick-a-part. Perhaps a difference of new vs. old?

• Thanks for the Post!
Reactions: CJ
My fan was brand new from Amazon vs. used from a local pick-a-part. Perhaps a difference of new vs. old?
He was talking about the single low profile fan. I know others who have had problems with them also but none that had any problems with the dual high amp Countour fans.

I'm going to attempt to keep the clutch fan setup, if that's seems not doable, I'll revisit the electric fan.
When I installed my clutch fan I had to massage the radiator mount with a two pound hammer a little.

When I installed my clutch fan I had to massage the radiator mount with a two pound hammer a little.
had to trim the brackets for the TJ radiator, but got everything mounted already topped off coolant, new serp belt and runs. Had to custom mount brackets and custom overflow. Trick was getting the radiator mounted so it wouldn't interfere with the hood mounted prop rod and brackets.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom