Distributor

Distributor
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
84 and 86 cj7's..mostly stock...258"s one is automatic, other is T-5..both have 20 and 30 axles...both have perfect original frames
Im just looking for suggestions, as to which electronic distributor to consider. I want to convert my 82 CJ7, basically stock motor, (258) with Weber, and nutter. I have seen the DUI's and a few others, but looking for some input...thanks:)

Easiest and cheapest way for later CJs equipped with the MotorCraft ignition would be going to the Team Rush Upgrade. For the pre '78 year rigs, I would suggest the HEI style. In either case spare parts are always good to bring along.
Oh yeah, and in either application I would also advise a ground from the icm to the battery negative.

Last edited:
Not to hijack, but what about four cylinders? I've been looking for an electronic upgrade for my 84 AMC 4 banger with no luck...

Easiest thing to do is go to NAPA or Autozone/O'Reilly and order a Chevy 250 inline six unit. They are manufactured by Cardone Industries and are ready to drop in EXCEPT...you will require the dizzy gear from an AMC V-8. Best quality is the Mopar one, or you can try the Crown part.

Either way the replacement is very simple:

Push out the tension pin in the gear neck and remove gear...slide on the new gear and reinstall the pin...Ta da!

I have tried the HEI from the Camaro, Nova, and S-10 (early 70's up). All of them work. Each however is tuned a bit differently with weights and springs ...so you will want to tweak.

One thing you should do, even if you use a DUI...Measure the clearance between the installed gear and bottom of housing...you may need to add a hardened washer or two above the gear to get a final clearance of .010 to .012 ( the gear will walk upwards while running and change timing if you don't do that, even on Davis units). The shaft will fit a standard 12mm or 1/2' hole washer!

Cost??? About $110 for the dizzy and $35 -$70 for the right gear...about HALF of the DUI or Mallory...

Last edited:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks