Differential Locker Comparison Video

Differential Locker Comparison Video

Posi

Always Off-Roading Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
54 Willys 3B, FI 401, T-18, ARB Locked, Hinkey Sidewinder Winch
A bit long (30 mins), but informative, especially for those looking to purchase their first locker.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited by a moderator:
That was informative. I've got one in the back and thinking about something in the front someday

Interesting and timely for me, I am currently having an Ox installed on my CJ5 AMC20. Strangely...there are clearance issues with the pinion extending too far into the differential. The Solution? See fig. 12 from the manual:
IMG_0001_zpsstkpxp8e.jpg

Excellent video. :notworthy:
For some reason, it looks very blury.:confused:

Shooby-Who made your R&P gears? What ratio?
In all my years of set'n up R&P's. I've only had to do this a handful of times. Each case, it was Dana/Spicer gears.
LG

A bit long (30 mins), but informative, especially for those looking to purchase their first locker.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x40WGUtdaLI

GREAT find there Posi. That's extremely well done. I have a freshly rebuild trac-lok in my AMC20 right now, but when that goes OR when EFI and lift are done and there's $, I've always wanted TruTrac's in the front and rear, and this video instills confidence in that choice for my uses.

Thanks for sharing!

great video and great find

:chug:

This is an EXCELLENT video! He not only gives his opinion on lockers, but most importantly he shows why.

I knew most of it, but didn't really know it as well as I thought I did. ??? Apparently I'm a defective thinker. I've got a True track in the front and a selectable in the rear. He suggested exactly the opposite. Oh well....

I truly wish I had the money for an OX locker. It's a great design with many positives.

Interesting in that he essentially said that the Detroit locker and the "lunch box" lockers are essentially the same with the "lunch box" locker actually being better or smoother in some applications.

This is an EXCELLENT video!
Interesting in that he essentially said that the Detroit locker and the "lunch box" lockers are essentially the same with the "lunch box" locker actually being better or smoother in some applications.

HH-I shook my head at that in the video. :rolleyes:
No way in heck are they 'better' than a DL. Cheaper, YES-That don't make it better......:poke:
The DL casing/housing/carrier was build from the ground up to take the stress it see's. ;)
I have lost count, of how many carriers with 'lunch-box' lockers I have seen over the years that were broken. LB's are 'OK' for general wheeling. No way will they take what a DL can.
HH-Your set-up is fine!:chug:
Respectfully,
LG

I understood him to say that both the DL and lunchbox function on the same principles. And simply, if you were to do the work yourself and on a budget the lunchbox is an option. He also said the Spartan design had a bit less slop then the DL.

The DL and lunchbox lockers are two different animals, aside from the function principles there really isn't much to compare. One you can kill, one you can't.

I assumed the gears were stock (Dana?) but the guy at the tranny shop thinks not. They are 3.54. The code on the axle tube is for 3.54. They are grinding down the pinion little by little and reassembling to check the fit as they go. Here is a pic of the ring and the ox:
IMG_1611_zpsrdhxbzke.jpg

Just because the axle is marked 3:54, doesn't mean it still is.
Check the pinion yoke for slop.

Cool video, cant wait to get my jeep finished and try out my True Tracs =)

Another thing that surprised me is that the Detroit Lockers guts are interchangeable with the Grizzly Lockers guts. They certainly don't look the same from the outside. ...... as a kid I certainly remember the lockers on the school bus BANG from time to time. Oddly enough it was the worst on straight roads.

Gert - The track lock in the front of my CJ certainly is impressive. The CJ drives just fine on hard ground, get in loose sand or mud, hit the skinny pedal and the front end grabs on and goes to work very impressively.

HH-Are you are using the friction modifier that is need'd for clutch type LSD's?
LG

Lumpy - You don't really need it in a Torsen or gear driven LSD. They don't rely on clutch disks to work. Never the less I use Lucus oil that already has the Limited slip stuff in it. At least that's what it says on the label.

Edit: Lumpy - I'm always mixing the two up, it's not a Track Lock it's a TrueTrack.

Last edited:
OK-I thought you had a gear type locker in the front. Then you called it a track-loc which is a clutch type LSD, and was OEM in the rear of many Jeeps.
LG

Dangit - this post has me thinking about lockers again...

Just not sure I want to throw $1k into a Dana 30 front...

:confused:

What the heck - may as well...

If I break it then the ARB should still be re-sell-able :D

Dangit - this post has me thinking about lockers again...

Just not sure I want to throw $1k into a Dana 30 front...

:confused:

What the heck - may as well...

If I break it then the ARB should still be re-sell-able :D

Go with a Detroit Locker and you'll never have to worry about it NOT working. :D:poke:

LG

Naw - I want manually on / off selectable. Sticky situations I find myself in require me to know how the jeep will act, and some situations would be avoided if I knew all 4 tires were going forward with power :D

That being said I haven't bought anything yet... :rolleyes:

I have never wished I could turn my front axle 'off'.
Never saw the need. I like all 4 wheels pull'n.
Respectfully,
LG

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks