Misc. Dana 44 full floating rear axle hub unlocks itself while driving.

Misc. Dana 44 full floating rear axle hub unlocks itself while driving.

BBRenegade

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
I’m the original owner of a 1979 wedgewood blue Levi’s Renegade CJ5. 5.3 L83, T176, D300, D30, D44 full floating axle.
I have a Dana 44 full floating rear axle with Warn locking hubs. The passenger side hub unlocks itself after driving a few miles. Of course the Jeep stops going forward. I have to get out and turn the hub to lock then the Jeep will move forward. Any ideas?

The knob is turning by itself and disengaging? That is very strange, but running manually disconnectable hubs in the rear is hardly reliable. Might be necessary to take it apart for inspection and proper assembly.

I have a Dana 44 full floating rear axle with Warn locking hubs. The passenger side hub unlocks itself after driving a few miles. Of course the Jeep stops going forward. I have to get out and turn the hub to lock then the Jeep will move forward. Any ideas?
I know a few people who use Warn hubs on their Dana 44 full floaters for towing with no problems. Quickest diagnosis is switch the mechanism from one side to the other, It's only 6 allen screws per side. I'm betting the detent is worn.

The knob is turning by itself and disengaging? That is very strange, but running manually disconnectable hubs in the rear is hardly reliable. Might be necessary to take it apart for inspection and proper assembly.
Thanks! I will try that and make sure that it also has the proper amount of grease.

I know a few people who use Warn hubs on their Dana 44 full floaters for towing with no problems. Quickest diagnosis is switch the mechanism from one side to the other, It's only 6 allen screws per side. I'm betting the detent is worn.
Thanks for the reply! All of the related components are brand new with less than 5 miles on them. I'll disassemble, inspection, and make sure I put it back together properly with the correct amount of grease. If that doesn't fix it, I will switch the hubs like you suggest.

Let us know your conclusions. I want to do a similar setup in my Willys.

My Dana 44 Warn rear full floater has a set screw to jam the lock out so no one cn pull prank on you. 🤣

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom