Differentials
Diff Dana 44 Build for CJ7

aglinks

Active Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
‘83 CJ7, 4.8L Vortec, TF999, D300, AMC20, D30
Hey all!

Thanks to a couple of awesome forum members, I recently got a Dana 44 housing that has been narrowed to WT CJ width. I am planning on building this slowly and swapping it in next winter. My plan is to use Scout stub shafts and my existing CJ knuckles, brakes, and steering components. Looking at scout shafts there are different options for lengths, does anyone know which one would be the right one? Also, do I need to stick with 27 spline stub shafts or can I upgrade my hubs and use different stub shafts? I will be running an ARB locker, 3.73's, and 33's. Any advice for this build would be appreciated!

Sounds like a nice build. I narrowed a scout 44 to narrow track. Used my Dana 30 knuckles and 6 bolt hubs. Its my understanding they are stronger than the newer 5 bolt. I had drum brakes so I upgraded to the scout disc. Look for a Ford 44 diff cover with the flat front. Before I found one I crushed the front of my cover to where it almost touched the ring gear. This allowed for the DOM tube drag link to clear the cover when turned to stop. I went with 4.10s and a detroit. Locks when you need it and you don't need to unlock it to turn on the tight trails. If you do a lot of higher speed driving in the snow the ARB may be better.

Sounds like a nice build. I narrowed a scout 44 to narrow track. Used my Dana 30 knuckles and 6 bolt hubs. Its my understanding they are stronger than the newer 5 bolt. I had drum brakes so I upgraded to the scout disc. Look for a Ford 44 diff cover with the flat front. Before I found one I crushed the front of my cover to where it almost touched the ring gear. This allowed for the DOM tube drag link to clear the cover when turned to stop. I went with 4.10s and a detroit. Locks when you need it and you don't need to unlock it to turn on the tight trails. If you do a lot of higher speed driving in the snow the ARB may be better.
What did you use for sub shafts?

I used the scout Dana 44 stubs. I beleive theyare the same as the Dana 30 that came in my CJ. If not someone will correct me

I don't believe so. My 30 is sitting on the side of the shop waiting for a project. Check the part number. I used the outer knuclels from a Dana 30 I picked up. The 44 stub shafts fit fine. Check rock auto to see on the u joint dimensions.

1614744367369.png

1614744507743.png

I just got done doing a Dana 44 for the front of my jeep.4D49DFB7-DEE3-45B9-A25B-00A4BEDF4F55.jpeg4C268CC1-1CEF-4903-B7E6-C826DD413F2C.jpeg

I narrowed a 78 Wangoneer 4”. Used F150 hubs and rotors
with much stronger lockouts.

65293B03-AB5B-40E2-B88D-7B94C321B9BE.jpegI started digging in to the Dana 44 build and ran into my first problem. This axle does not appear to have the machined spring pad on the passenger side. I know I could outboard the leaf springs and weld a perch to the tube, but then I think that my tires would hit the leafspring whenever I turn. Has anyone encountered this problem and if so how did you fix it?

View attachment 74862I started digging in to the Dana 44 build and ran into my first problem. This axle does not appear to have the machined spring pad on the passenger side. I know I could outboard the leaf springs and weld a perch to the tube, but then I think that my tires would hit the leafspring whenever I turn. Has anyone encountered this problem and if so how did you fix it?
Are you going spring over or spring under?

Your inner ubolt will be bigger than your outer...it rides up on top of the flange on the pumpkin

Your inner ubolt will be bigger than your outer...it rides up on top of the flange on the pumpkin
I understand that part, but what I am missing is where the spring perch should be. I labeled the picture so you can see my confusion.Dana 44.png

The pad wouldn't do you any good for spring under, anyway

The perch goes under the flange

Shot you a pm

If I can find my pictures I can show you what I ended up having to do. Mind you I did spring over.
So do I grind out that webbing and weld a perch to the flange?

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom