Damaged oil filter adapter thread

Damaged oil filter adapter thread

Rahudack

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
77 jeep cj7
84 jeep cj7
Long story short. An engine mount broke on my 1977 CJ7 with 3.8 L inline 6. It damaged the oil filter and appears to have damaged the oil filter adapter (male threads in block). it appears the last 2 or 3 threads are flattened and I can't get the new oil filter to start on the threads.

It appears this male thread is screwed into the engine block and has what appears to be a 7/8" hex at the top where it is seated against the block. I assume this unscrewes from the block (I have not tried yet).

Does anyone know if this part is available somewhere? I did some quick googling and can't find it.

Thanks.

Man, you're right - I'd say you're best bet then would be to contact some of the folks who part out CJ's and have tons of stuff and see if they have access to one. Be nice if you could find someone with a blown 4.2 that's headed for the scrap yard........ And in your search, keep in mind your filter mount has english threads where the 87 and up mounts are metric. Good luck and keep us posted...

Why not just 'chase' the damage threads with a triangler machinist file?
Or find out for sure what the size is, and chase it with a die?
LG

Why not just 'chase' the damage threads with a triangler machinist file?
Or find out for sure what the size is, and chase it with a die?
LG

Yup! I always carry one in my CJ in case a thread gets buggered up. The angle on the file is the same as on the thread or there is a thread file that you can use. Your adapter thread might just need to cleaned up a bit. You should be able to find a YouTube video on just how to use either file to repair that thread.

Long story short. An engine mount broke on my 1977 CJ7 with 3.8 L inline 6. .

??? I have never heard of a 3.8 L inline 6 in a CJ. If it is a 4.2 I would have what you need.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks