Corkscrew Gulch and Hurricane

Corkscrew Gulch and Hurricane

OkieCJ5

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1978 CJ5, 258, Pro Comp 4" lift, 33" tires. All stock diffs, xfer case and transmission.
My wife and I made a quick trip out to Ouray to visit a dear friend that is very ill. The CJ is still in pieces but we took our new Chrysler JKU:). We broke her in right! Road trip to Colorado!!

We left out of Silverton on county rd 110 I think it was. We wanted to see how far up we could get on Hurricane pass. We made to about a quarter mile or so past Corkscrew before a snowdrift stalled us out. We returned and took Corkscrew over the Red Mountains to highway 550.

The county dozed Corkscrew and it's fully open and dropping over the top going west is absolutely breathtaking! I love the views on that trail.

We also wanted to hit Yankee Boy but just really didn't find the time to do more than one more quick jaunt over Last Dollar just to check out the wildflowers and take her husband along to give him a break from all that is happening.

I took some GoPro of the trip up Hurricane and Corkscrew (til the battery gave out). I'll attach it here if anyone is interested after I get it all edited. Plus a few pics we took.

Hope to be able to make it out for the August trip. I know you will all have a blast!

Ron

I took some GoPro of the trip up Hurricane and Corkscrew (til the battery gave out). I'll attach it here if anyone is interested after I get it all edited. Plus a few pics we took.

Ron

Interested.

Yes, please post the vids when you get the chance.

to do cork screw with out doing lower Engineer is a shame. If I had to choose the trail I have run that I enjoy the most the lower engineer is the top of my list. It is just plain fun to travel on.:D

:grinjeep:

Still traveling home today, we didn't have a lot of time to go play due to the nature of the trip. Wish we had more time because I think they had engineer open.

I'll get some pics up this evening for everyone to look at.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seeing if i can upload from the phone. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1403806166.473461.jpg. Looking at red mountain 2 I believe in this one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17840d1403806172-corkscrew-gulch-hurricane-imageuploadedbytapatalk1403806166.473461.jpg

That looks familiar.
This one was shot on the 1st Annual Jeep-CJ trail ride
3-01CorkscrewPass.jpg

Ok, let's see if this works. I ran the video at 4x speed, I wasn't really going this fast... haha

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

If the vid doesn't show, here is the direct link to YouTube
Corkscrew Gulch - Hurricane Pass - YouTube

Video picks up where we turned off the main county road onto the trail.
Ron

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Dave for fixing the embed!

Here are a few pics just to whet your appetite.

Anyone know how to rotate pics? The edit function in the gallery doesn't seem to work.

This first pic is of a mine taken on the first part of the trail. Sorry it's sideways.

img_7792_small.jpg

Under the white part of the runoff I saw we were not alone.

inset.jpg

We found more company as we went higher.

img_7806.jpg

This was taken headed up Corkscrew, shot to the south.

img_7822.jpg

Sign post at the top.

img_7843.jpg

And here is after you go over into Red Mountain mining district.

img_7846.jpg

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom