Cold Start Woes

Cold Start Woes

kbrew904

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1983 258 Inline 6 Automatic
I know cold start issues have been covered extensively but whenever I search for my specific problem only FI jeeps come up.

Basically, when the jeep starts cold, only after sitting overnight, it will run at high idle like its supposed to for about 5 seconds, then will being to run rough, rpms drop, and feel like its missing. If it dies, it takes a looong time to try and get it started again.Cloud of smoke comes from the exhaust whole time during startup (white and smells like gas) However, after driving around for about 5 minutes and the engine warms up it drives absolutely fine, no more smoke, and will start right back up if its been parked.

Things I have done to attempt to fix with no change:
-Rebuilt stock Carter BBD to factory specs
-Replaced choke and verified its closed when cold and opens when warm
-Did the team rush upgrade with new spark plugs about a year ago

I'm new to this forum but this jeep has been in the family since new and being the young car guy of the family maintenance and repair has been my responsibility for a while now. I've learned a lot and would really appreciate anyone's help in trying to remedy this.

Thanks for taking the time to read.

WELCOME :chug:
Need to adjust the choke's setting.
Sounds like it's 'choking' the engine and not allowing the correct amount of air to enter.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
LG

Once its started you aren't touching the gas pedal are you? If you do the carb will kick off high idle.

....... What is there about these Carter carbs lately, they are beginning to seem like nothing be trouble.

It needs to run on high idle for a lot longer than 5 seconds for it to warm up. Thats not helping at all.

WELCOME :chug:
Need to adjust the choke's setting.
Sounds like it's 'choking' the engine and not allowing the correct amount of air to enter.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

LG

^^^^^ Sounds like the choke it too rich...Set it to spec... lean it a bit...:chug:

What has been mentioned in the previous posts are helpful. As mentioned the engine should be at high idle longer the 5 secs.
Some other things to look into, vacuum actuator and electric vacuum switching solenoid. Both move the throttle position to 1000-1100 rpm then back to idle.

Good first post, and pretty cool the Jeep has been in the family since new.

Hey guys thanks for all the replies.
Sorry I had to make a new account it wouldn't accept my password or send me a email to reset it. meh

To give some more detail, I am not giving it gas when I start it. I pump the gas pedal once to prime it and set the choke/kick up and then turn the key and let it be. It begins to bog out on its own after the 5 seconds.

I know it may seem to be the choke, but I have adjusted it so when the engine is dead cold it is just closing the choke plate fully (which I think is correct) and the kick up linkage ect all moves how it should so thats why I am a bit stumped.

One of my thoughts is maybe the timing has started to be off? It hasn't been touched in years.

I drove it as my first car for about 2 years and it never gave me many problems, this has only started since it's begun sitting since I went to college. My parents do drive it every couple weeks and I always make sure to put seafoam in the gas tank when I come home so the gas stays fresh.

Again guys thanks for the help.

Oh also another important thing is all the emissions stuff has been removed for about 10 years now, so if that changes anything let me know.

Last I checked the mixture on the carb was good, I checked it with a vacuum gauge while I adjusted the two screws.

Hey guys thanks for all the replies.

I know it may seem to be the choke, but I have adjusted it so when the engine is dead cold it is just closing the choke plate fully (which I think is correct) and the kick up linkage ect all moves how it should so thats why I am a bit stumped.

Again guys thanks for the help.

Here's you a quik test. Pump it once to set the choke and to prime with accelerator pump ( as you already do ), then remove the air filter, watch the choke plate while someone else starts the engine. The choke plate should have a small gap between it and the airhorn ( top of carb ), maybe a 1/8" to 1/4" or so ( thats a guess ). If it has no gap, or extremely little gap, then your choke needs adjusting ( its too rich ). It should be opening slightly as soon as engine turns over, usually via a choke pull off of some sort. :chug:

Haven't owned a 258 in many years but many carbs have a vacuum pull of so when the engine starts the vacuum will open the choke plate a little more so you don't have that problem. It's the best of 2 worlds with a near closed plate at cranking and a open (enough) plate after running. If you have the pull off make sure it has vacuum and is working (and in adjustment).

Carters are good carburators, imho. It helps to learn them well (as it does any other component) As for me recently I had a no start condition complicated by the fact I work 7 days a week with very little free time. It turned out in my case I had a perforated/sunken float, fuel leaking from the secondary throttle shaft and an incorrect needle for the accompanying seat. What would've helped my initial diagnosis (after the throttle shaft bushing installation) is if I'd have started my 360 (w/remote trigger so I could REALLY see what's going on) with the air cleaner removed. It was only in this manner with eyes right on my AFB could I see the fault.
One other thing about these electric choke Carters, there's a different choke setting for winter (more choke) and summer (less choke) by a few degrees turn of the choke cover as is indicated on older Carters where this information was embossed on the cover itself.
Another issue I've had on 'Easy Bake' is on the Carter YF (one barrel) is fuel varnish had built up at the choke butterfly holding it closed. It took me a while to figure this out because on my Ford E150 the 300 motor is so tall it's impossible to see down the throat of the carburator with very tight vertical clearance without using a mirror. 10 minutes with a stiff toothbrush and carb cleaner took care of that for the next 50k miles.

Last edited:
HI,
I know cold start issues have been covered extensively but whenever I search for my specific problem only FI jeeps come up.

Basically, when the jeep starts cold, only after sitting overnight, it will run at high idle like its supposed to for about 5 seconds, then will being to run rough, rpms drop, and feel like its missing. If it dies, it takes a looong time to try and get it started again.Cloud of smoke comes from the exhaust whole time during startup (white and smells like gas) However, after driving around for about 5 minutes and the engine warms up it drives absolutely fine, no more smoke, and will start right back up if its been parked.

Things I have done to attempt to fix with no change:
-Rebuilt stock Carter BBD to factory specs
-Replaced choke and verified its closed when cold and opens when warm
-Did the team rush upgrade with new spark plugs about a year ago

I'm new to this forum but this jeep has been in the family since new and being the young car guy of the family maintenance and repair has been my responsibility for a while now. I've learned a lot and would really appreciate anyone's help in trying to remedy this.

Thanks for taking the time to read.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks