Suspension CJ7 Suspension Lift Replacement

Suspension CJ7 Suspension Lift Replacement

CCKCJ785

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1985 CJ7, 4.2L 258
Just purchased 85 CJ7. Starting with drivetrain replacement. Shackles measure 6" from grease zerk to Grease Zerk front and rear. Rear measure 3" wide and Front measure 2.75" from welded joiner. Unsure what springs are on it but everything looks worn out. Rather replace than try and salvage. Has 33s on it now figure 4" lift?. Not looking to off road but want solid system. Am considering Rough Country 61030 2.5 kit. So what shackles do I need? Is there a better system to consider? Appreciate the help on this

I hear great things about BDS springs. When and if I ever replace mine again I will get those.. I just installed a couple of months ago a new Heavy Duty tie rod and drag link from Crabtree Tool and Die. The guy is a 1 man show and makes some great stuff for Jeeps. I would look at his shackles and shackle hangers. Not cheap, but not cheap junk either. Great guy to talk to on the phone also. He has a very nice CJ7.

All depends on what you want. You say you're not interested in off road

Sounds like you're interested in ride quality

That said, neither RC nor BDS would be worthwhile. The latter is head over heels quality over the former, but both are stiff. The same can be said for any sort of lift spring with any degree of arch

I'd look into an OME YJ conversion. Short of custom (Alcan, Deaver), likely the best you'll find in terms of availability (lack of wait time), price and smoothness of ride

Or simply keep it stock.

YJ spring conversion yields an amazing ride quality and even off roading flex. I used them for a while. I just didn’t like the added leaf spring length on the front. The protrusion on the front was an eyesore for me. I ended up fabbing a shackle reversal with stock springs, and in the process was able to relocate the axle forward about 1.25”. This puts the wheel in the sweet spot relative to the fender wheel well. Good luck.

All depends on what you want. You say you're not interested in off road Sounds like you're interested in ride quality That said, neither RC nor BDS would be worthwhile. The latter is head over heels quality over the former, but both are stiff. The same can be said for any sort of lift spring with any degree of arch I'd look into an OME YJ conversion. Short of custom (Alcan, Deaver), likely the best you'll find in terms of availability (lack of wait time), price and smoothness of ride

Appreciate the feedback. Ride quality is not an issue. I did not buy an 85 CJ because I was looking for a cruiser. Want a good kit, with agreeable road manners. I am attaching a pic of what I have at this point. Replacing all body mounts and total redo of drivetrain. Tub is solid with very minor rust. Just needed a new project and always wanted a CJ. The Rough Country 61030 seems like a good option. Trying to figure out the right shackles for it. 4.2 with MSD ignition and headers. Felt I did ok on the buy. Not leaking any oil and have done fluid change on Tranny, Transfer front and rear diff. Base lining the project.Shackle Left Rear.jpgShackle Front PS.jpgCJ PS 2.jpgCJ DS 1.jpg

Nice looking CJ. If those are original shackle hangers take a really good look at them. Many years ago mine looked good but 2 were cracked. Never abused. Just figured they were brittle metal. I would go with original size shackles or maybe slightly longer. That's just me.

Nice looking CJ. If those are original shackle hangers take a really good look at them. Many years ago mine looked good but 2 were cracked. Never abused. Just figured they were brittle metal. I would go with original size shackles or maybe slightly longer. That's just me.
Need replaced. Slightly bent. Unsure if original. Sounds foolish but would rather replace than try and refurbish. Measure 6" front and rear from zerk to zerk. Fronts measure 2.75" and Rears are 3" by my measurements. Trying to measure 2-3 times and cut once.

Not foolish. Good new US made is probably better than OEM. Mine are aftermarket but I think original size I'm pretty sure. 3 1/2"

Just a heads up. When I started my build, I needed to build as cheap as possible. I bought the rough country 4" springs and within two years they lost half their lift. I would suggest going with a better product. Rough country has become popular because of their pricing, Not their quality.

Just a heads up. When I started my build, I needed to build as cheap as possible. I bought the rough country 4" springs and within two years they lost half their lift. I would suggest going with a better product. Rough country has become popular because of their pricing, Not their quality.
Suggestion? Not looking to get out on the cheap. Am looking for quality at a realistic price. Building for good ride quality and functionality if needed. Like the current stance with 33s. Springs and shackles at this point is what I've got.

Suggestions have been made, but you continue to ramble on about the RCs because you think they "seem like a good option".

There's a difference between soliciting advice and seeking validation for a decision.

Your rig, your choice, so if you've already decided, fine. When you come on a forum such as this one and solicit advice, you're going to get it. From guys that have a ton of experience that have already made the mistakes there's no need for you to repeat. That's the whole purpose for the existence of sites like this.

Now...back to the subject.

You're not looking to "get out on the cheap". That opens up more options.

Hangers need replaced. That does, too.

I'd strongly suggest you consider the OME YJ conversion. Better ride, flex and quality. Keep standard shackle length (0" lift) so road manners are maintained.

Reviews abound. Do a quick Google search.

Swap your front hangers for 3"(which you're doing anyway) and don't look back.

https://www.quadratec.com/products/...DcqBFm8O5twQ-Ui4j62KGES6kkc1UiakaAq2uEALw_wcB

Your wrong in your assumption. I was simply asking for what kit to use. Want 4" which is what I have now. Just don't know what's under it. Last post on this subject. Was asking for solid advice, which I feel I got. Not my first go round on vehicles just Jeep CJ on vehicles. Already dealing with Quadratec. Will follow your link. thank you for you input.

Am considering Rough Country 61030 2.5 kit
Want 4" which is what I have now
Just don't know what's under it.
Tryin' to help ya, pard...but you're not makin' it easy to keep up.

There's not nearly enough arch in your existing springs for them to be 4". What you very likely have are the original springs attached to those lift shackles shown in your first two pics.

OME doesn't make a 4" leaf kit.

If you're set on 4"and a kit (as opposed to cobbling it yourself with amassed individual components), the top two choices would be either the Rubicon Express 5525:

https://rubiconexpress.com/Suspensi...25.aspx?t_c=1&t_s=38&t_pt=3533&t_pn=R/ERE5525

Or the BDS:

https://bds-suspension.com/product?kid=406H

I ran the latter for about four years. Solid, but stiff. It's also in actuality closer to 5"...it didn't settle all that much.

Potential pitfalls will include bumpsteer (depending on your existing drag link angle), clutch linkage binding, e- brake cable and brake hose length issues, just to name a few. Inasmuch as yours is a 7, you might be alright with regards to your driveshafts.

Good luck with it

“I bought the rough country 4" springs and within two years they lost half their lift.”

It’s this :dung: that disappoints me with today’s aftermarket products. I gotta say those original YJ springs can take a beating and will return to their normal stance after repeated heavy exertions. And I mean the originals, not new off road supply replacements. Look at the vast majority of stock YJ’s, they still have their original stance. Sorry to deviate from the subject.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks