Cj7 for sale 1st timer needs advice!?!

Cj7 for sale 1st timer needs advice!?!

Dingo

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
Tundra Crew Max,Cj to come
Ive been creeping on the forum for a while and now im an offical member. I need advice! 1985 CJ7 Renegade, 1990 wagoneer 360 swap (fires right up and runs good), blown t5, dana 300. Full doors, hard top 4" bds lift 33X12.50,16r. Frame is rotted above the rear spring shackle, both driver and passenger side. Body panels have rust bubbles in the lower rockers. they are asking $1000 firm. Is this a good deal? Should I go grab the tralier and be on this dudes door step asap? Or should i run?

Ive located a t176 tranny mated with a 300 sitting on a pallet in some guys shop for $350 about a hour away.

Please help me out and lead me in the right direction. Thanks:chug:

If you think you can fix the frame I say go for it. It is worth more than a $1000 in parts.

I guess frame rot is pretty common on this area in cj's. I found sections of stamped steel that is supposed to match right up. I believe they are about $110 each, I just need to find someone to weld it .

If you can feel the love , go for it. but do be aware that this is just the beginning and all your free time and money will be required from this time forward.

welcome to the path to enlightenment. :cool:

I guess frame rot is pretty common on this area in cj's. I found sections of stamped steel that is supposed to match right up. I believe they are about $110 each, I just need to find someone to weld it .

I would say that welding is a pretty good skill to have if you own a jeep.

I bought a Hobart mig welder from Northern Tool for about 400 dollars. I bought it years ago to build a turbo system so its kind of light duty; only has the 120V plug. Puts out enough heat to weld on the frame. Mig welding is as easy as it gets, if you can color with a sharpie you can do it.

Figure another few hundred for a helmet and getting the bottle filled.

I would say that welding is a pretty good skill to have if you own a jeep.

As someone who doesnt weld I have to agree with Jason here. Im so tired of not being able to weld it has dampened my spirit a bit as far as Cj projects go. Here in the North East its just too much money to farm out all the welding most Cjs need. Id like to feel the satisfaction and creativity welding can provide.

Im getting a cleaner Cj to appease my need to have one. Then I have a mess of parts and such that I hope to create a decent trail rig out of. My brother used to work at Bethlehem Steel here in Pa. and has been welding quite a long time. Im working on garnering some of that knowledge. Then I think I will invest in some tools like Jason said have at it. :)

I will give you this word of caution. Make sure that rust is just in the areas you stated. I know what $110 pieces your looking at. I just parted out my CJ7 after I found alot more rust than in just those spots.

If you still do want what this Cj has to offer and think you can handle it theres always the option of getting another frame as well. It does sound like a good sum of parts to use , just know what your getting into.

Give us an update on your decision as well. :chug:

As far as the purchase goes, seems like a decent deal. Check the tires; my 73' came with a new lift and tires with like 95% tread. I saw some small weather cracks which now after one year are pretty big. They don't leak but the lesson is when stuff sits it can deteriorate. Just look everything over really well, bring it up to operating temp, etc.

My body was toast but I hacked it back together. I did find a small crack in the frame behind the winch mounting plates. So even if you find a jeep that isn't rotted in that spot, you'll probably find cracks in another spot later.

Curious why thats a common spot to rot. Does the water pool there? Frame is boxed?

You never know what condition the axles and tcase are in also. Id pop the fill plugs and dip your finger in the oil at a minimum.

But heck the lift and tires are worth the 1000 so if you can wrench you might as well do it.

You're going to want to get a welder either way. It opens up so many doors as to what projects you can tackle.

I was beaten by 20 min. It's my fault I offered him $800 a few days ago. Oh well the world will turn and there will be a cj for me . I just need to keep stalking Craigslist. Thanks for your advice guys, you'll see me back here soon enough. If anyone has any hook ups in FL please let me know. Be safe and keep wheelin

I wish you luck finding a Jeep :chug:

Ive been creeping on the forum for a while and now im an offical member. I need advice! 1985 CJ7 Renegade, 1990 wagoneer 360 swap (fires right up and runs good), blown t5, dana 300. Full doors, hard top 4" bds lift 33X12.50,16r. Frame is rotted above the rear spring shackle, both driver and passenger side. Body panels have rust bubbles in the lower rockers. they are asking $1000 firm. Is this a good deal? Should I go grab the tralier and be on this dudes door step asap? Or should i run?

Ive located a t176 tranny mated with a 300 sitting on a pallet in some guys shop for $350 about a hour away.

Please help me out and lead me in the right direction. Thanks:chug:
Sorry ya missed out but they do come again. If you can, snag up on that trans-transfer combo, thats a cheap price and a really good setup for a future Jeep build.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks