CJ6 Build with CJ5 Drivetrain?

CJ6 Build with CJ5 Drivetrain?

Spduffee

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
'78 CJ5 AMC 304, D20, T150, D30
Good Morning!
I have an opportunity to buy a 1959 CJ6 carcass - no engine, no axles, no seats. It does have a full tub, fenders, hood, frame, top....
I do have a 1978 CJ5 with all the working parts, including a 304 V8, 3spd manual, etc. Its body, like mine, is pretty much shot.
How hard would it be to take the guts of the CJ5 and get the CJ6 on the road? Is everything the same except for a longer driveshaft?
It can't be that easy, can it? Please say it's impossible and will cost a fortune....you may be saving my marriage and my dignity.

Thank you,

Shawn

All I know is CJ6s are really cool and pretty rare these days and that would be a great jeep to have and save

It can be done but will need a lot of drive train fabrication.

It can be done but will need a lot of drive train fabrication.

Hello Caveman,

Thanks for the comment. Can you please explain what might be involved?
From the database her on the forum I learned the CJ6 also came with a 304, the same transmission and same transfer case and axles.
Anything you can tell me would be greatly appreciated.

Shawn

The 72-and up was 104” CJ6 came with a 258/304 T14/T-15 30 front 44 rear.
What you have is a 71 and down 101” CJ 6 that came with a F134/225 T90/T14
The engine compartment may need some trimming but the 304 should fit, I’d go with an electric fan to save space. Plenty of 350 in early CJs.
The front 30 is 3” wider then a 25 or 27 wheel to wheel and has been an easy swap to early CJs.
I would swap over your 78 springs, you will need new frame spring hangers and pad to accommodate the 1/4 wider springs.
Same goes for the rear although their 3/4” wider. Or go yj springs.
Make or buy new motor mounts
Fab a trans mount and skid plate.
Herm sells a PS mount for the frame
And drive shafts as you mentioned

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Thank you for that Posi.
It doesn't sound very scary at all.
I haven't contacted the current owner yet. Wouldn't it be great if he already had all that packed in there before?

Yup, What Posi said. A bunch of cutting and fabricating and welding.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks