73CJ5,
AMC360
6-1=T18
3.14-1 Dana20,
4-10 Dana 44 ARB in rear
Scout Dana 44 with Detroit locker
1952 M38
L134 stocker
I was out last weekend when a buddy had his steering box bracket fall apart. It was a cast bracket. Three mounting bolts with cast bracket parts attached to his box and hanging from his power steering lines. It is my understanding that in some years the brackets were cast. At some point it was switched to a pressed steel bracket. His jeep is believed to be a 71.

Can someone let me know what years had the steel non cast brackets or of a strong aftermarket bracket.

With a couple ratchet straps and a winch cable wrapped around the frame and box we made it back to camp.

71? Please check the year. Is the frame boxed where the bracket bolts up?
What engine?
Cast brackets were really beefy from 72-75 and very difficult to break.
Three hole box mounting flanges = manual box
Four hole box mounting flanges = power box
Stamped brackets are 76 and up (weak)
Many use three hole cast brackets even for power because they are so strong.
MORE sells great brackets for 76 and up and with a few 🍻 and some time can be adapted.

Well he says the tag says it is a 71. Fuel tank is in the rear. His came with a inline six.
Now both our rigs have 360s in them.

My rig came with the 304
In my 73 I have a 4 bolt box Cadillac box set on my manual steering bracket. Sounds like I may not need to hunt down a new bracket. A brace wouldn't hurt.

Thanks for the info. Very helpful

Check VIN numbers. They will give you the correct year. However, that doesn't mean parts were replaced with something else.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks