CJ-7 Key Ignition Removal Woes

CJ-7 Key Ignition Removal Woes

Ouengineering

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1983 and 1985 Frankstein CJ-7 with some YJ for added measure
I followed some on-line videos on how to remove the ignition cylinder on my 1985 jeep which could be started without a key inserted. The videos all show that the cylinder slides out really nice and easy once you lift the turn signal insert, remove the screw holding in the cylinder, and then easily slide it out. Mine turns nicely but it won't slide out. I've tried every position of the key, with the key inserted, with the key removed and nothing. I've pulled it hard with long nose pliers for all combinations of key inserted. I'm as a loss. I've used some penetrating oil also with no luck. I'm about ready to drill it out but at this point I can still start it with a screw driver so reluctant to make matters even worse.

Please share your collective wisdom. Mitch S.

Attachments

• IMG_4682.jpg
    IMG_4682.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_4683.jpg
    IMG_4683.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_4684.jpg
    IMG_4684.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 90
:ww::dbanana::banana:
You really should disconnect your battery at the POS(+)terminal before mess'n with the ign switch.
The real FSM has the how to on this.
LG

Some cylinders have a locking tab. There is a slot in the column housing about half to 3/4 of an inch long, and about 1/16" wide. You need a thin blade to push the tab in. I think the key needs to be in the "Run" or "Off-load" positions.

The tab is at the inner end of the cylinder and runs perpendicular to the key, ie it will be a vertical slot with the wheel pointed straight.

I feel your pain, there are few things on a vehicle that I hate worse than working on a @#$#%!! steering column. Pure misery....

Hi!

I have same issue with the lock cylinder. I have taken whole lock part away from steering column, but still can't figure out what is holding lock cylinder in place. Any ideas how I could get it out?

Attachments

• lock1.jpg
    lock1.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 35
  • lock2.jpg
    lock2.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 34
  • lock3.jpg
    lock3.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 64
Some cylinders have a locking tab. There is a slot in the column housing about half to 3/4 of an inch long, and about 1/16" wide. You need a thin blade to push the tab in. I think the key needs to be in the "Run" or "Off-load" positions.

The tab is at the inner end of the cylinder and runs perpendicular to the key, ie it will be a vertical slot with the wheel pointed straight.

This and also PB's reply, all you need to do is push the tab in and the cylinder should release and pull out. This is GM column and all early GMs work the same.

Thanks!

Finally got it away from there and new lock cylinder is in place with the retaining screw. It will be much more easier to replace if required in the future. Now also steering lock works as before locking pin never came far enough to lock plate.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks