Chevy 350

Chevy 350

bearsden

Active Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
2002 ford f150 4wd,1989 chevy suburban 4wd,86 cj7 ,67 nissan patrol(sold)
Can anyone tell me if it matters where the heater hoses are connected? I have one coming out of the manifold and one out of the water pump. Thanks!

I'm not positive, but I don't think that it matters a whole lot. I have mine hooked up that the upper heater core hose comes from the water pump, and the lower comes from the manifold on a 304, and we have no problem getting heat.

The water pump connection is your suction (inlet) and the connection on the rear of the intake manifold is the supply (outlet). Run the rear manifold connection to the bottom port of your heater core, and the top port of the heater core to the water pump connection. Water flow path on a SBC is from lower radiator hose>water pump>block/cylinder jackets>heads>intake manifold>water neck>upper radiator hose>radiator.

Assuming we are talking SBC through 1998. LS series and LT1 use reverse cooling flow and cool the cylinder heads first if I remember right.

Dave

The water pump connection is your suction (inlet) and the connection on the rear of the intake manifold is the supply (outlet). Run the rear manifold connection to the bottom port of your heater core, and the top port of the heater core to the water pump connection. Water flow path on a SBC is from lower radiator hose>water pump>block/cylinder jackets>heads>intake manifold>water neck>upper radiator hose>radiator.

Assuming we are talking SBC through 1998. LS series and LT1 use reverse cooling flow and cool the cylinder heads first if I remember right.

Dave
it is a 1978 Chevy 351 of the hoses is up by the thermostat housing, the other one is from the water pump . Should I be looking for a different place to put that hose?

it is a 1978 Chevy 351 of the hoses is up by the thermostat housing, the other one is from the water pump . Should I be looking for a different place to put that hose?

Sorry, that did not quite come out right. Chevy 350.lol!

The connection by the water neck/thermostat housing is also an "outlet" or supply connection. Also most of the TBI(87-95)/Vortec(96-98) SBC engines return the water directly to a tap on the radiator filler neck instead of the water pump. These will have threaded plug in the water pump housing. Just remove the plug and replace with appropriate barb connection if so equipped. If I remember correctly, most pre-87 SBC will have the connection in the pump.

The connection by the water neck/thermostat housing is also an "outlet" or supply connection. Also most of the TBI(87-95)/Vortec(96-98) SBC engines return the water directly to a tap on the radiator filler neck instead of the water pump. These will have threaded plug in the water pump housing. Just remove the plug and replace with appropriate barb connection if so equipped. If I remember correctly, most pre-87 SBC will have the connection in the pump.

Sounds good, I really do appreciate the help! I will get it switched around! I am so close to having this thing going!

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks