Engine cant get a 304 so how about a 360

Engine cant get a 304 so how about a 360

Markcj79

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1979 , 304, T18 tranny
So apparently 304's are hard to come by and my block is trashed so no rebuild there. Can I drop an amc 360 in and bolt it directly to the T18 tranny I have or do I need an adapter. Do all the externals i.e. timing chain cover, bell housing, intake etc from my old 304 bolt on to the 360? I really don't want to spend the money for a LS swap.

They don’t make them like that anymore.

• Thanks for the Post!
Reactions: CJ
So I got the new 360 installed runs great. Only issue I’m having is after driving for awhile and warms up it doesnt want to shift into 1st or reverse. Shifts fine when I first start driving. Anybody ever had this issue.
Here's a couple options. Double check the clutch adjustment, it may be close enough that the heat is changing the tolerance not letting it disengage/engage properly. Also, Check the bracket on the body-side of the bellcrank. A guy with a similar problem had a broken stud that went into the bellcrank. The boot was hiding it. Looked fine when clutch was engaged, but was bending sometimes instead of rotating when disengaging the clutch. Problem seemed intermittent, making it tough to diagnose. You'll need someone to work the clutch in and out while you watch. Another option is the gear oil, you're prob running 90w but some swear switching to 50w works better and fixes that issue.

So apparently 304's are hard to come by and my block is trashed so no rebuild there. Can I drop an amc 360 in and bolt it directly to the T18 tranny I have or do I need an adapter. Do all the externals i.e. timing chain cover, bell housing, intake etc from my old 304 bolt on to the 360? I really don't want to spend the money for a LS swap.
The 360 and the 401 are the same block.

The 360 and the 401 are the same block.
Kind of true. ;)
While all late model AMC V8 blocks have the same external dimensions, there are many internal differences. Most notably web thicknesses. The 401 vs 360 block has stronger main crank support and fore and aft thrust support. Much of this has to do with the stock 401 being designed for more HP as well as endurance.
When it comes to internals the biggest difference is 360 rotating parts (crank and rods) are cast while the 401 are forged.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks