Canoe - Craigslist Barter

Canoe - Craigslist Barter

Hedgehog

Always Off-Roading Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
-1975 Jeep CJ5, 360 V8, Headers, Duel Exhaust,T15 transmission, D-20 Transfer case, Twin Stick Conversion, Warn 8274 Winch
-1951 Willys Wagon, 4 cylinder, "F" head, little rust, very close to stock
For several years now I've been lusting after a canoe, any canoe, but not really a decent canoe that isn' constantly on he verge of tipping over. I'd slap down money for a used Grumman, unfortunately while canoes are available on craigslist a short stack of money isn't. So last night while perusing the barter section a canoe popped up. The only thing I have is a fairly standard Lincoln Tombstone buzz box to trade and the guy seems interested in doing the deal.

I haven't inspected the canoe yet, it's a 16' fiberglass canoe witha an interesting snake skin paint job. He doesn't know the manufacturer, but iI fear it might be heavy. The canoe looks to be in decent shape in the pictures, but naturally I will be inspecting it before turning over the welder. So this leads me to the point of this post. What should I look for? What problems should turn me away. Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.

Last edited:
Yeah, I know this is boring and not very jeepie at all. But, this canoe will be all part and parcel of the whole jeep package.

THe seller/trader was busy last night, tonight I'll look at the canoe, if all is right and the thing isn't heavier that the Titanic the deal will be done. Then to free up money for the bumper and canoe rack.

This is BIG canoe and I fear it is to heavy to stay around my house for long, but it's a start. Thanks for the out flow of advice, yes I know it's not really a jeep topic so how can I be upset and I'm not.

Sorry Hedgehog, don't know jack about canoes except they dont have an engine....... I think I just realized why I know so little about them :D Good luck and have fun with your new toy!

I just spent a few hours in a kayak on the ocean last week on vacation. That is a lot of muscle work. That is all I know about water vehicles.

My dream has been to get a CJ jeep, got that, ... get a Cot Tent to sleep off the ground in, got that, ... Get a Canoe, got that, ... then build a versitile rack for it and go around doing what ever came to be .... camping, hunting, boating, fishing, trapping for crayfish (Arizona has a terrible crayfish problem and it's great fun trapping them).

So has anyone seen a 17' canoe on top of an 11' CJ5? oooooh my goodness, I fear the canoe is too long to look even slightly right. Not to mention that this is an old design fiberglass canoe, read heavy. Almost too heavy for a normal person to handle between the vehicle and the water, well actually between the vehicle and the ground.

Speaking of heavy, with the canoe on top the suspension is surprisingly comfortable. I thought it would be tippy, almost dangerous. I'm sure it is prone to tipping, but not as much as expected.

Call me crazy, but I'm considering cutting the canoe and removing a few feet in the middle. ..... a nice short Jon boat probably would have been a better choice. Maybe latter I'll just pay it forward and give it to someone who would like a nice stable canoe.

Aaannndd suddenly I'm looking at an 14'-4" Adirondack Guide boat. I grew up in the Adirondacks and have lusted after a guide boat for most of my life. If you are not familiar with a guide boat you have missed out on something beautiful and functional.

Now to find a home for my new/old canoe.

This was a mistake, but it's mine now ......

IMG_0034.jpg

But this is my new Adirondack Guide Boat and I'm thrilled......

100_1178.jpg

100_1187.jpg

Adirondack Guide Boats are beautiful to look at, beautiful in the water and I've wanted one for a very long time. Who would have thought I'd get one 2500 miles away in Arizona. I'm building a rack for the jeep and will be picking it up this week end.

This should be fun, a long jeep trip up in the cool country, camping, hopefully I'll find some water and a few fish. Folks this has been a long time dream of mine......

Like the looks of the new one :chug:

Oh yeah, I'm liking that guide boat. What did you give for yours.

I worked up a trade with the builder. Frankly I was surprised he accepted. Total money's out of my pocket was far less than the $2,000 he wanted for it, by far less I mean less than 1/2 the money. It is hard to say though, while I didn't pay top dollar for the items I traded, in the past few years prices have jumped significantly. Even his asking price was incredibly low for any decent guide boat, they easily go for $3,000 and up. In the end we are both very happy with the deal we worked out.

It looks very nice.
Will it take a lot of work to maintain it?
Does it weigh less than your canoe?

The whole focus of the Guide boat was strength and light weight. The boat is ~65 lbs. where the fiberglass canoe is well over 100 I'm guessing. I can handle a 100lbs over my head and the canoe was nearly impossible to hoist by one person. Two of us did it without difficulty. Unfortunately I'll be alone most of the time so the lighter guide boat will be my "Go To" boat.

Maintenance is a concern, the boat is coated with several layers of fibre glass rosin on the inside and many coats of marine varnish on the outside. I do need to find out how he sealed the seams, but I would imagine keeping the boat out of the everyday sun should preserve it well into the future. The boat was constructed here in the dry southwest, with properly dried wood so shrinkage cracks shouldn't be an issue.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks