Frame Bumper options for '74 / earlier CJ5

Fizgurd

Jeeper
Lifetime Supporter
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
'74 CJ5, 232 I6, T18a, D20, D30/D44 4.27
Greetings all

Due to the serious lack of aftermarket bumpers that appear to be available for '55-74 models (every rear bumper with a swing arm I like says it is for '76 and newer CJ5🤬), I was wondering if more knowledgeable people would have thoughts / answers on the following:

1. Is there a big enough difference between the frames of the '72-74 and the '76 / newer CJ5s that would require modification of the mounts on an aftermarket bumper to the point it isn't worth going that route?

2. Might anyone know a fabricator in the Longmont / Denver / CO Springs area that they use and would recommend if I did want to have an aftermarket set of bumpers modified, or went the route of purchasing a DIY bumper kit (or a completely custom Fizgurd imagination design:wtf:) to be assembled?

In an ideal world, the dream criteria I have been hunting for are bolt on front / rear bumpers that are not just a flat piece of metal or 3" tubular. The front bumper having a 2" receiver and recovery points in it, the rear bumper having a swing arm, a 2" receiver and recovery points in it.

Solution
Lots of differences in the 75-older and 76-up frames. 75s are straight - same width the whole length. 76+ widen at the rear.

I had similar problems when looking for bumper options for my '84. I wanted d-rings front and back, and 2" receivers also front and back (front is tougher to find). I also wanted the swing-out tire carrier. I wound up making my own by welding up some scrap I had laying around. Round tubing for the front and added a receiver from Amazon. The back is square tubing, with another Amazon receiver, and I added some rotopax can mounts and a mount for the hi-lift as well onto the swing-out carrier. For the rear, I also added some Amazon frame tie-ins. All in, less than $200 plus my welding time. No kit, just round and...
Lots of differences in the 75-older and 76-up frames. 75s are straight - same width the whole length. 76+ widen at the rear.

I had similar problems when looking for bumper options for my '84. I wanted d-rings front and back, and 2" receivers also front and back (front is tougher to find). I also wanted the swing-out tire carrier. I wound up making my own by welding up some scrap I had laying around. Round tubing for the front and added a receiver from Amazon. The back is square tubing, with another Amazon receiver, and I added some rotopax can mounts and a mount for the hi-lift as well onto the swing-out carrier. For the rear, I also added some Amazon frame tie-ins. All in, less than $200 plus my welding time. No kit, just round and square tubing readily available and parts off Amazon also readily available. Even modest welding skills and time with the grinder can make some very functional bumpers.

Solution
I thank you for the answer and I kinda figured it would be something along those lines.

I was planning on using this jeep as an excuse to buy some welding gear and learn how to weld. This just reinforces that I suppose :)

You could also try contacting Robert at Dirtworx bumpers. He fabs up a great quality front and rear bumper for many vehicles in the jeep line with lifetime guaranties on materials and welds. He is real easy to talk with and may be able to come up with something for your application. Maybe not but it's worth a shot. As far as a fabricator closer to home, contact Fox at F.E.M.I. offroad in Colorado Springs. He may have some ideas as well. Cost comparison to learning how to weld a quality product is unknown from my perspective but at least these are two more people that can give you more information to weigh your decision on. You can google both of them easily.

You could also try contacting Robert at Dirtworx bumpers. He fabs up a great quality front and rear bumper for many vehicles in the jeep line with lifetime guaranties on materials and welds. He is real easy to talk with and may be able to come up with something for your application. Maybe not but it's worth a shot. As far as a fabricator closer to home, contact Fox at F.E.M.I. offroad in Colorado Springs. He may have some ideas as well. Cost comparison to learning how to weld a quality product is unknown from my perspective but at least these are two more people that can give you more information to weigh your decision on. You can google both of them easily.
I thank you for the leads, I will definitely check them out. Funny thing is I was pondering asking Fox about bumpers and I am currently attempting to purchase a metal hardtop / doors that Fox has for sale, though he told me earlier this week he may have sold it as part of a package build he is working on....

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom