Misc. Build a CJ8 from New Parts?

Misc. Build a CJ8 from New Parts?

BrockGrimes

Jeep-CJ.com Archive Master
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
ON THE HUNT AGAIN
Been having a crazy thought of building a CJ from all new parts. From top to bottom. I know itll be spendy and take a few years. Am I crazy?

Thinking starting with a 83-85 CJ8, wide track, frame from throttle down kustoms.

Basic idea:
83-85 CJ8 with a V8, auto, undecided on the t-case. Dana 44 front and rear, lockers, rock crusher style bumpers, etc. etc.

All new parts ordered from various sources of course. Gonna try to document it on youtube. If I indulge this crazy idea.

Of course I wonder if it'll be considered scratch built and will the paperwork be a pain in the A BAD WORD.

Crazy? Ya, a little, but aren't we all. I considered the same thing when I cought the CJ disease but figured it was going to take to long to build. To come up with the money, not actual build. There will be some parts that are going to be hard to come by and may have to be used parts. Good quality used parts can be found. Good luck with your project and keep us posted with lots of pictures.

I too pondered the thought - but the cost would have been prohibitive a few times over for me. I agree there are some parts that aren’t available new, but solid used parts in good shape freshened up would be as good or better than many new parts.

And yes, the title would have to be a custom built. Not familiar with the process, but it’s doable. Wonder where the line is between replacing panels on a roached tub and swapping VIN plates - the former is ok, the latter is illegal....... Is there a certain percentage of the original tub that must be retained?

Would defiantly be an interesting build to watch!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds like a great idea if you can do it, and aford it. I like the idea of the TDK frame. Might be a good idea to find an old CJ8 that maybe the framework and body are not that good, but you can take some of the parts off of and also use as your reference and maybe even vin number if possible, that would be up to your state you live in. Go for it !

Well a catalog build isnt to bad. Just build it 1 piece at a time. The killer is buying the frame, body, and axles. The big parts are always over 1k. Gonna be a father son project but it's still on the drawing board. I like the CJ8 due to the length. I and the wife had 04-06 unlimiteds also i had a CJ5, yj, jk, etc. etc. I loved and miss my CJ5 but like the room the unlimited had. The CJ8's are just stupid expensive here or just roached out beyond what i want to deal with.

My main motivation for the "new" build is to see if it can be done and for it to be all bolt together and NEW. Basically, the ultimate jeep you've always wanted without having to modify or cobble together parts.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks