Boomerang Shackles

Boomerang Shackles

ThisGuyUKnow

Full Time Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1986 CJ7 Laredo 4.0,Nv3550,D300 Twin Stick,AMC20 3.31, 31 BFG
Honda vtx1800c
Boomerang shackles geometry from eye to eye is the same as a standard shackle they just help with clearance around rear bars or being used for anti inversion kickback's

Boomerang shackles geometry from eye to eye is the same as a standard shackle they just help with clearance around rear bars or being used for anti inversion kickback's
X2, Well said.

They were made for yj's so they didn't hit the rear crossmember, cj's don't need them.

so if i wanted to squeeze out an extra inch to 1.5 inches of lift I am better off just saving up for springs?

so if i wanted to squeeze out an extra inch to 1.5 inches of lift I am better off just saving up for springs?

Yes.
To gain 1.5" lift with shackles you would need them to be 3" longer than what you have now, that spells disaster and very much a chain reaction.
This would depend on your shackles angle of course and they could actually need to be longer than that.

These are only a 1/2" lift. I keep bending my stock shackles. I also have 4" lift springs. Hoping to get more strenght and flexibility.

Gaining 1/2 inch of lift with a set of shackles means they are 1" longer than stock eye-to-eye. I too have 4" lift springs. I have a set of boomerangs on the rear because I replaced the springs and they are now a different brand and flex rate from what's on the front. This was done for when I tow either of my two trailers. The boomerangs gave me another 1/2 inch or so in the rear but also clear my pipes and cross member. But I had no issue of bending the stock shackles with the prior springs. If you're bending stock shackles, I'd be searching for the reason why. Some possible causes of bending shackles could be worn bushings allowing the shackles/springs to get out of alignment with each other, wrong size shackle bolts allowing play in the fitment, lack of metal inserts inside the shackle bushings allowing the bolts to press directly into and against the rubber, slightly twisted frame or hangers so that shackles are not hanging exactly perpendicular, or prior bending that was then just straightened out and put back on causing weakness and repeated bending.

Thanks for replying. I've always used oem shackles with new bushings, replacement bolts and metal inserts. I gonna try poly. bushings on frame mounts and spring eyes. Thank you

They were made for yj's so they didn't hit the rear crossmember, cj's don't need them.
Hi . If they were made for yj's, why is there a application for CJ5"s?

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks