Bell housing for sale

Bell housing for sale

jakeh937

Senior Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
'79 Cj5, 258 with Howell Fuel injection kit, T18 with dana 20 Tcase, dana 30 front with Detroit locker, AMC 20 rear with LSD and one piece shafts, Warn 8k winch, 1" body lift, 2" suspension lift, 33 tires
I have talked to a few people on the fourm and I believe I am in need of a T-150 Bell housing. I have a t176 housing but would prefer to keep it original with the T-150. It is getting mated to a t18 trans. I have a few emails in with some people to see if they have some including JW jeep and Rob at Willies works. I thought I would just see if anyone here has a good spare one that they would want to sell. I figured its worth a try!

I have talked to a few people on the fourm and I believe I am in need of a T-150 Bell housing. I have a t176 housing but would prefer to keep it original with the T-150. It is getting mated to a t18 trans. I have a few emails in with some people to see if they have some including JW jeep and Rob at Willies works. I thought I would just see if anyone here has a good spare one that they would want to sell. I figured its worth a try!
Ford or Jeep T18?
The T-150 has a Ford bolt pattern on the front. The Jeep T18 does not. You can use any Ford T18 but you will need an adapter for the transfer case.
Also pay attention to input shaft differences!

Ford or Jeep T18?

The T-150 has a Ford bolt pattern on the front. The Jeep T18 does not. You can use any Ford T18 but you will need an adapter for the transfer case.

Also pay attention to input shaft differences!

I think mine is a jeep. Based from Novak the numbers on the cast match and it has the PTO cover on the drivers side. They say on the site the Ford has passenger PTO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think mine is a jeep. Based from Novak the numbers on the cast match and it has the PTO cover on the drivers side. They say on the site the Ford has passenger PTO.

I’ve never had a T176 so I have no clue what the pattern is.
There were long & short bell housings, plus some with a spacer / adapter between the trans and bell housing.
The T-150 uses the Ford hourglass pattern with no spacer however the input shaft is slightly longer than a Ford T18. So... you need a special pilot bushing and adapter for the transfer case using the Ford T18. It will NOT bolt directly to the Jeep T18.
Therefore, if looking for a T-150 bell housing to mate to a Jeep T18, it might not exist. Don’t take my word for it! There are others here who know more on what will interchange and what won’t.
If you need measurements I “should” have three versions.

There were long & short bell housings, plus some with a spacer / adapter between the trans and bell housing.

The T-150 uses the Ford hourglass pattern with no spacer however the input shaft is slightly longer than a Ford T18. So... you need a special pilot bushing and adapter for the transfer case using the Ford T18. It will NOT bolt directly to the Jeep T18.

Therefore, if looking for a T-150 bell housing to mate to a Jeep T18, it might not exist. Don’t take my word for it! There are others here who know more on what will interchange and what won’t.

I'm a little confused on this whole subject but this is what I do believe.. my t18 was in my jeep with a bell housing (unsure what one) when I pulled it I had a t176 bell that I thought would work. Now it WILL work if I drill and tap holes. I had a donor jeep out back that had a T-150 in it. I pulled thatbell off and it was identical to the one I had but it was cracked and JB welded together. So I'm assuming, I hope I'm right, that the t18 will work with a T-150 housing. As far as going to the Dana 20, I know my t18 does have an adaptor plate. It's about 1" and mates to it. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but this is what I am assuming..

The T176 and T-150 both use the Ford butterfly bellhousing pattern. The CJ T-150 bellhousing is drilled for both the T-150 and the T18 pattern. So the T-150 bellhousing will work, it just uses different holes.

I'm a little confused on this whole subject but this is what I do believe.. my t18 was in my jeep with a bell housing (unsure what one) when I pulled it I had a t176 bell that I thought would work. Now it WILL work if I drill and tap holes. I had a donor jeep out back that had a T-150 in it. I pulled thatbell off and it was identical to the one I had but it was cracked and JB welded together. So I'm assuming, I hope I'm right, that the t18 will work with a T-150 housing. As far as going to the Dana 20, I know my t18 does have an adaptor plate. It's about 1" and mates to it. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but this is what I am assuming.

Sounds like a Jeep T18 with the driver side PTO. Jeep used the 1" adapter plate from the factory to bolt the Dana 20 to the T18. Aftermarket adapters for Ford T18/T19 to Jeep Dana 20 also use a 1" adapter (they pretty much just copied the factory Jeep adapter).

What is your 1st gear ratio? The 76 (and maybe some 77s) came with the 4:1 1st gear T18 like the 72-75 CJs, but used the same bellhousing (with no adapter) as the the 77-79 CJ T18s. The 77-79 CJ T18s are 6.32:1 1st gear. Full Size Jeeps also had a T18/Dana 20 just like the CJs, but with a longer input shaft.

The T176 and T-150 both use the Ford butterfly bellhousing pattern. The CJ T-150 bellhousing is drilled for both the T-150 and the T18 pattern. So the T-150 bellhousing will work, it just uses different holes.

Sounds like a Jeep T18 with the driver side PTO. Jeep used the 1" adapter plate from the factory to bolt the Dana 20 to the T18. Aftermarket adapters for Ford T18/T19 to Jeep Dana 20 also use a 1" adapter (they pretty much just copied the factory Jeep adapter).

What is your 1st gear ratio? The 76 (and maybe some 77s) came with the 4:1 1st gear T18 like the 72-75 CJs, but used the same bellhousing (with no adapter) as the the 77-79 CJ T18s. The 77-79 CJ T18s are 6.32:1 1st gear. Full Size Jeeps also had a T18/Dana 20 just like the CJs, but with a longer input shaft.

Mine is 79 so it has the 6.32:1

I'm a little confused on this whole subject but this is what I do believe.. my t18 was in my jeep with a bell housing (unsure what one) when I pulled it I had a t176 bell that I thought would work. Now it WILL work if I drill and tap holes. I had a donor jeep out back that had a T-150 in it. I pulled thatbell off and it was identical to the one I had but it was cracked and JB welded together. So I'm assuming, I hope I'm right, that the t18 will work with a T-150 housing. As far as going to the Dana 20, I know my t18 does have an adaptor plate. It's about 1" and mates to it. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but this is what I am assuming..

I’m confused as well. If your T-150 housing bolts up to the T18, then it’s the Ford style... which explains the need for the Dana 20 adapter. I “think” the T-150 input shaft will fit the Ford T18 but if it hasn’t been swapped, the Ford input shaft is slightly shorter. Either change the shaft or use a longer pilot bushing. In any case measure everything first!
Another option could be repairing the messed up T-150 housing you have. I suspect it’s possible. Post a pic of the damage.

I’m confused as well. If your T-150 housing bolts up to the T18, then it’s the Ford style... which explains the need for the Dana 20 adapter. I “think” the T-150 input shaft will fit the Ford T18 but if it hasn’t been swapped, the Ford input shaft is slightly shorter. Either change the shaft or use a longer pilot bushing. In any case measure everything first!

Another option could be repairing the messed up T-150 housing you have. I suspect it’s possible. Post a pic of the damage.

Man now I'm really confused.. I'll have to measure the input shaft. As far as I know, it came original with the 4 speed so maybe the shaft is correct. From novaks site, they said there were 12 known versions of the jeep t18 with the greatest differences being input shaft and gearing configs.

Not true. Jeep used the same bellhousing for the T18 and T-150 in the CJs. It has the pattern for both transmissions.

Jeep also used a 1" adapter between the T18 and Dana 20. I believe the Jeep and Ford T18s both have the same bolt pattern on the rear because the OEM Jeep T18/Dana 20 adapter can be used on a Ford T18.

I highly doubt the T-150 input shaft will swap over to any T18. A 4:1 T18 input shaft won't even work on a 6.32 T18. However, the Ford and Jeep 6.32 input shafts will swap around. It's somewhat common to put a Ford input shaft into a FSJ T18 in order to install it into a CJ.

But yes, Definitely measure the input shaft to verify is it's the short CJ shaft or a Ford shaft.

Not true. Jeep used the same bellhousing for the T18 and T-150 in the CJs. It has the pattern for both transmissions.

Jeep also used a 1" adapter between the T18 and Dana 20. I believe the Jeep and Ford T18s both have the same bolt pattern on the rear because the OEM Jeep T18/Dana 20 adapter can be used on a Ford T18.

I highly doubt the T-150 input shaft will swap over to any T18. A 4:1 T18 input shaft won't even work on a 6.32 T18. However, the Ford and Jeep 6.32 input shafts will swap around. It's somewhat common to put a Ford input shaft into a FSJ T18 in order to install it into a CJ.

But yes, Definitely measure the input shaft to verify is it's the short CJ shaft or a Ford shaft.
Don’t want to start WW3 but I can walk out to the shop and take pics of both a Jeep T18 and Ford T18. They aren’t the same.
The Jeep T18 uses a 1” thick adapter behind the 258 bellhousing. At least up thru 1975 you couldn’t buy a Jeep with a 304 and 4 speed... only behind the 258 I6. Don’t know what happened after ‘75 other than the the T-150 had the Ford pattern.
Are we talking different eras?

Don’t want to start WW3 but I can walk out to the shop and take pics of both a Jeep T18 and Ford T18. They aren’t the same.

The Jeep T18 uses a 1” thick adapter behind the 258 bellhousing. At least up thru 1975 you couldn’t buy a Jeep with a 304 and 4 speed... only behind the 258 I6. Don’t know what happened after ‘75 other than the the T-150 had the Ford pattern.

Are we talking different eras?

Yes we are talking different eras. The 76-79 CJ T18 (which the OP has) doesn't have an adapter between the bellhousing and transmission. Only the 72-75 uses a bellhousing adapter.

I thought you were talking a the 1" adapter between the transmission and transfer case. That's the one that I *think* can be used on a Ford T18 to mate it to a Dana 20.

Man now I'm really confused.. I'll have to measure the input shaft. As far as I know, it came original with the 4 speed so maybe the shaft is correct. From novaks site, they said there were 12 known versions of the jeep t18 with the greatest differences being input shaft and gearing configs.

12??? I’ll be hiding under my bed till this is over?

Yes we are talking different eras. The 76-79 CJ T18 (which the OP has) doesn't have an adapter between the bellhousing and transmission. Only the 72-75 uses a bellhousing adapter.

I thought you were talking a the 1" adapter between the transmission and transfer case. That's the one that I *think* can be used on a Ford T18 to mate it to a Dana 20.

Thanks! That makes a lot more sense! I thought I was having a relapse from the ‘60s lol. I’m not at all familiar with that “modern stuff” after 1975.

Thanks! That makes a lot more sense! I thought I was having a relapse from the ‘60s lol. I’m not at all familiar with that “modern stuff” after 1975.

Hopefully that breakthrough will clear up a lot of confusion for the OP.

OP, do you have the bellhousing off the transmission? If not, I think I still have the cracked bell housing that came on my T18 and can snap a pic for you to see what it looks like. You'll see it has multiple patterns. If this were a couple months ago when I had my transmission out, I could show you what my T-150 looks like. It's been bolted to both transmissions long enough that you can see the outline of each transmission.

Hopefully that breakthrough will clear up a lot of confusion for the OP.

OP, do you have the bellhousing off the transmission? If not, I think I still have the cracked bell housing that came on my T18 and can snap a pic for you to see what it looks like. You'll see it has multiple patterns. If this were a couple months ago when I had my transmission out, I could show you what my T-150 looks like. It's been bolted to both transmissions long enough that you can see the outline of each transmission.

All my questions have been cleared up. And I do have the bell housing. It's the T-150 one. If it would help I can grab a picture or 2 of it tonight

All my questions have been cleared up. And I do have the bell housing. It's the T-150 one. If it would help I can grab a picture or 2 of it tonight

Glad you were able to resolve it. That one made my head hurt!

Glad you were able to resolve it. That one made my head hurt!

Hahaha mine too!

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks