Been reading, see if I'm right

Been reading, see if I'm right

Germy

Full Time Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1985 jeep cj7 360 20 rear and 30 front w/warn lockers 5 speed tranny,

1971 dodge dart built 318
I want a set of black wheels fo cj. The current wheel is unknown width, but 15 inch diameter. But if I went to a 15x10 4 inch backspacewith 35 x 12.5 would it stick out more or do I need less backspacing

"The current wheel is unknown width"

Do I measure lip to lip or is it marked.

Most wheels are stamped on the inside but if not you can measure lip to lip.

if I went to a 15x10 4 inch backspacewith 35 x 12.5 would it stick out more or do I need less backspacing
It depends on the tires.
Here's the radials I used to have:
BFG1.jpg
Then I got bias ply that were supposed to be the same width.
SuperSwamper4Medium.jpg
Look at the springs. They now rubbed my tires and I got wheel spacers.

You can see the bias ply have more sidewall bulge

I assume you are getting radials. They might not rub.
But then again you have narrower rims (mine are 12 inches) so maybe yours will rub. Sorry I don't have a definite answer but I bet they won't rub. Yes, that's my final answer: they won't rub.

They are ten wide. American racing. Would I measure lip to hub to figure back spacing?

The back spacing was 3.75, the wheels I'm looking at are 4". The 4 will stick out more right?

The back spacing was 3.75, the wheels I'm looking at are 4". The 4 will stick out more right?
They will stick out slightly less. But if you are changing tires too there can be more than 0.25 inch variance between tire brands even if the tire size is the same on paper.

Wait busa, you don't have flares. Mine may be correct, just seems tall and skinny. I'll grab you a pic tomorrow. Thanks!

Wouldn't a 10" wide rim make the tire narrow as compared to the 12" wide rim. Not sure how much but logically I believe it would.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Wouldn't a 10" wide rim make the tire narrow as compared to the 12" wide rim. Not sure how much but logically I believe it would.
Yes but the tread is the same width so if the tires are put on narrower wheels there will be more sidewall bulge. This bulge will make it more likely that the tires will rub the springs. But, yes, cj7inthetwigs you are right, the tires will stick out less with narrower rims.

Right right, plus if the tires where ever "aired" down, the bulge would become even greater. Get out the lasers and tape measures. I better leave this up to y'all before I go insane thinking "what ifs".. Best of luck to you seriously.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

I think after reading that I want a 3.5 backspace on a 15x10 inch with 35x12.5

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks