Battery hold down

Battery hold down

cdlongjr

Active Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1983 Jeep CJ-5, 1987 Wrangler YJ, 1974 J-10
How do you guys secure your batteries? My local club requires the battery to be secured so it won't come out of the tray. They say the factory bracket isn't good enough.

Not good enough? thats a first for me! Although I could see it if it was the type that holds just the bottom lip of the battery.

there are any number of vendors that sell over-the-top brackets that bolt the battery down very secure. I have just a cheap set of J-bolts from a parts house holding a 3/16"x1" steel strap over the top of the battery in the stock mount.

I use the stock J bolt assembly and it works very well. It even holds the battery in when you are upside down!!! :D

All mine has is a bracket on the bottom front of the tray. Sounds like I'm missing something?

Thats all mine has also. Before I go out to Rausch Creek though I'll add a bracket for the top and some "j" hooks to attach it to the tray. Cant see you needing much more. With all the different batteries out there some line up with that clamp , some barely do and some dont have that provision at all.
All mine has is a bracket on the bottom front of the tray. Sounds like I'm missing something?

If your battery hold down is only the simple black wedge that hold the bottom of the battery down you definitely need to change the way you are securing it.

I attached a picture of my tray (disregard the :dung: on it) and I drew on where the J-Hooks lock into the bottom of the tray. I could have sworn that even your year CJ used J-Hooks but I'm most likely wrong.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Battery Tray.jpg
    Battery Tray.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 3,127
Many battery trays have a 'Wedge' type tie down,
A small block of plastic that bolts to the tray and bites onto a small lip at the base of the battery.

Our club won't allow those either.

If you have that type, the EASIEST way to secure your battery is with a nylon strap, wrapped all the way around battery and tray.
Cinch up the strap, and you can't pry that battery loose from the tray!

I actually lent a guy a nylon belt (looks like a military or scout belt, but made of nylon) to wrap around his battery so he could wheel with us one time.
(I used it to keep my sleeping bag under control)
---------------------------------

The most secure way to keep a battery in place is probably the 'J' hook on each end or each side of the tray,
With a top frame or flat piece across the battery top.
Once secured, these don't come loose either.

Thanks guy! I'll do some lookin' & see what I can come up with to secure the battery.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom