any experience towing with 2013 wrangler?

any experience towing with 2013 wrangler?

dagwoodzz

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
85 CJ V6 4SP
looking at buying a 2013 wrangler unlimited. Only options selected are hard top and towing package. (6 spd auto)

My concern is with a tow package the towing capacity is only 3500lbs. my little pop up is 1500, so loaded, family, ice chest, fuel we will probably be getting be getting near 2500.

engine is V6 with Dana rear diff, curious is the weak link the auto tranny or just vehicle weight? If I pull the pop-up in Tennessee mountains, do I need to worry?
-
I asked a buddy who has the same jeep but year older. He said he would pick up my pop-up and drive to Tennessee any day and not think twice.

I live in Louisiana pretty flat, just worried if I got into some hills would I bite off a little too much. Would like a 2nd opinion if anyone has any experience.

Thanks, _D

I regular a non jeep motorcycle specific site who's members are pretty much gear heads. Lots of guys scorn the older 3.7 wrangler as it was a gutless turd with numerous issues. The new ones with the 3.8 seem to be giving far better results. Lots of these guys tow as well around the weight range you mention. Id imagine the low limit is on a two door and not the 4 door stretch? The short wheel base makes for the "tail waggin the dog" if your not tow savvy. The long wheel base should be a 5K tow rating Id think. Heck, even our old V6/auto 4runner is rated at 5K.

We used to tow a tent trailer with a 94 Jeep cherokee 4.0 filled with family of 4, our 100 lb lab and a roof rack loaded beyond limits for a week stay in the mountains. Never a problem.

Too bad a Wrangler is not a true Jeep, it's Crysler sedan in the shape of a true Jeep. Kinda like a new VWBug isn't and real VW Bug.

Too bad a Wrangler is not a true Jeep, it's Crysler sedan in the shape of a true Jeep. Kinda like a new VWBug isn't and real VW Bug.

Your right, but I still have a CJ too :chug:.

A buddy of mine with a 07 4dr 3sp Auto came over and hooked up to the camper. It pulled with no issues.

My fear was that it might push the limits of the Jeep, but feel pretty confident now the 3500 limit is based more on the weight distribution and wheelbase of the Jeep.

It should do fine as a DD and taking the kids camping. The CJ is always here for the manly stuff new knockoffs can't handle.

-D

Dagwoodzz, two concerns you should have about towing include transmission overheating and braking. A tranny cooler can really help here and keep plenty of distance behind the guy in front of you.

I ave an '08 with the smaller engine 35" and a 4" lift. I've pulled a boat short distances without trouble. Stock '13 with the new engine you will be fine.

Having a new Jeep and a CJ is the best of both worlds.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks