Misc. AMC 20 Warn FF Info

Misc. AMC 20 Warn FF Info
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
79 CJ7 232, 2 Barrel Motorcraft 2100, Factory T18, D20, WT D30/AMC20FF, 33x10.50 KM3s, Warn 8274, 6 Point Cage
With stumbling into owning a cool AMC20 setup I have had to scrounge far & wide to get information on the old Warn Full Float conversion for these axles. I bought a pair of wide track axles with the drum FF conversion on the rear with lockout hubs. I’ll start with the cliff notes version of good things to know:

-Uses 30 spline Dana 44 style hub with special traits. The conversion kit is unique with the usual engagement spring later changed to a solid spacer to engage the locking hub as well as a set screw on the dial to combat the hub self-unlocking. They may also have more orings since in "Open Bath" configuration they had to keep differential oil in the hubs. Originally Warn #36655 but is physically very similar to the Dana 44 30 spline #60165, I had to get new star engaging nuts which came from warn under that part number. Can use standard 30 spline lockouts or slugs for Dana 44. Should use Warn #20825 service kit but have not installed. Still working on a non kit dial seal # from McMaser

-Hub/Spindle are supposedly “unique” to the Warn kit but there is some speculation the spindle and hub are very close to early Bronco Dana 30 sizes… can’t confirm this

-Axles are rather strong chromoly units made the same as Warn’s shaft upgrades of the time. 29spline inner for AMC20 engagement and 30 spline outer in Dana 44 profile

-Randy’s Ring and Pinon bought all the info and rights to the old warn stuff, they are not super helpful sourcing parts.

-Warn direct also isn’t too helpful because they sold the rights and documents away.

-The drum kit uses stock AMC20 drums/hardware BUT came with different brake equalizers that have an offset center Bendix #49004

20190420_142501.jpg
20190420_141916.jpg
20190420_141655.jpg

20190420_141649.jpg
20190417_213338.jpg
20190417_213333.jpg
20190417_213342.jpg
20190417_213345.jpg

Part numbers/sizes from my Excel file:
Capture.JPGCapture 2.JPG
Capture3.JPG

Hopefully that helps someone else if the need arises. Will add/update as needed.

That's white elephant levels of rare!
i was hunting for one for the last 5 years, now i'm in the middle of building a narrowed D60 for my CJ7 because i couldn't get a full float kit for the 20!

Indeed it is, which has made finding information on it a bit of a problem. I also have some Warn catalogs and installation instructions I need to get up on a google drive for everyone's access. They are an early 00's trip down memory lane.
FF Snip.JPG
FF Snip2.JPG

Overall little un-nerving if something was to break but custom shafts can be made, lockouts modified and get to test the spindle/hub theory. But it gets used, has been all over the East Coast, Moab and Ouray now. Best of all, flat towing is a dream with the lockouts.

Indeed it is, which has made finding information on it a bit of a problem. I also have some Warn catalogs and installation instructions I need to get up on a google drive for everyone's access. They are an early 00's trip down memory lane.
View attachment 74389
View attachment 74390

Overall little un-nerving if something was to break but custom shafts can be made, lockouts modified and get to test the spindle/hub theory. But it gets used, has been all over the East Coast, Moab and Ouray now. Best of all, flat towing is a dream with the lockouts.
Nice, just attach them here and they will go to our docs section (in the process of redoing it now.)

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom