All lights works, except headlights

All lights works, except headlights

cuban11182

Active Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
84 CJ7: 258, T5, Dana 300, Holley 390, Nutter Bypass.
So I'm VERY new to the Jeep and CJ scene. I noticed that every once in a while the headlights wouldn't work. I had a new switch from the PO and I put her in thinking the old switch was the culprit. I'm still not getting headlights. I have parking and fogs, but no headlights. I pulled the switch and tested with a meter and when I pull it all the way out 12V is sent to the headlight circuit in the Jeep, but it doesn't reach the headlights. Am I missing something obvious?

Do a continuity check of the headlight wiring from the light plugs back to the firewall. On mine, the ground wire for the right headlight, had corroded inside the insulation and turned to green powder. Just because the insulation looks good, is no indication that the wire inside is.

Thanks for the advice. The Jeep is in REALLY great shape compared to others I've seen. That was my first direction after making the post (I hear the grounds can be notorious). In any case it was my high beam button on the floor. I normally put the ebrake on in my Titan, so it's natural to do the same to the jeep. I guess I hit the button plug and it wouldn't finish the circuit. I'm going to look for a way to bypass that switch all together.

Thanks again though.

Hey, don't bypass the dimmer switch. Just get a new one and replace the problem one. While you're at it why don't you consider Jimbos headlight relay harness upgrade? I installed it in my CJ and consider it to be the best upgrade I've ever installed. My dimmer switch was in need of replacing until after I installed the relay harness. Haven't had a problem with it since I installed the upgrade. Do a search for "headlight harness upgrade" and you'll find the posts about it.

So I'm VERY new to the Jeep and CJ scene. I noticed that every once in a while the headlights wouldn't work. I had a new switch from the PO and I put her in thinking the old switch was the culprit. I'm still not getting headlights. I have parking and fogs, but no headlights. I pulled the switch and tested with a meter and when I pull it all the way out 12V is sent to the headlight circuit in the Jeep, but it doesn't reach the headlights. Am I missing something obvious?
Try dimmer switch. Same problem. Worked for me.

+1 on the relay upgrade...well worth the effort

I went through three dimmers in six months prior to doing it...makes all the difference

I also did the relay upgrade for the dimmer switch. These old CJs had too small gauge wiring and would regularly burn up wires and/or the plastic connector on the floor mounted dimmer switch and/or the switch itself. I just bought two standard auto relays and soldered some wires (no kit). Cost all of about $10. Easy hour or two job. This takes the current for the headlights out of the headlight wiring circuit and routes it directly to the headlights through the relays and your larger gauge wiring you install. Now brighter headlights and no more issues with high current burning up switches or stock wiring. Here's my write-up on the mod: Headlight Dimmer Mod

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks