Suspension Air Suspension in the rear?

Suspension Air Suspension in the rear?

aglinks

Active Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
‘83 CJ7, 4.8L Vortec, TF999, D300, AMC20, D30
Dumb question, but does anyone have a good solution for saggy bottom syndrome on a CJ when you have any kind of load? My BDS springs don’t keep my Jeep level as is, but when I put my bike rack and a couple mountain bike on the back, I get the Carolina squat. Has anyone tried air shocks or something to level it back out? The steering starts to get weird when it’s squatting. I know the bikes don’t weigh much, but to clear the spare tire I have to use a hitch extender which creates quite the moment arm.

Using air shocks or bags or such is really just a bandaid for a legitimate issue that should be fixed. I have rough country 4" lift springs and have no issues with a bike rack, luggage rack in the receiver loaded with a few hundred pounds of mulch or animal feed, or loading my trailer up. If you're sagging under small to medium load (like just a couple of mountain bikes), your springs have an issue. You even mentioned that your current BDS springs don't keep it level empty. I'd ditch those springs for some that do their job.

What spring are you running? Can't imagine BDS leaves sagging to that degree

Post up some pics

How old are your springs? I have 2 1/2 inch BDS springs on mine that are 3 years old and have zero sagging issues even if I load up the back. Biggest load I have had in mine is 8 bags of cement

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

i put an airbag kit on my ramcharger and they work great for towing. i bet air shocks will work good for your CJ

Air bags/shocks would certainly help with carrying loads, but if the existing springs are sagging under light load (bike rack) and are not sitting level even when there is no load, those springs seem to have an issue that should be resolved. I too use a hitch extender to also clear the spare tire, whether using my 16' trailer, my shorter jeep tub trailer, or a bike rack. In fact, my extender is a homemade dual unit, with one extension level with the Jeep's bumper (for the jeep tub trailer or the bike rack) and one lower down for the utility trailer to keep it level when hitched to the raised jeep. So certainly some additional rear weight extended further out from the actual bumper and receiver mount. Now the Jeep will squat somewhat with a heavier load on the 16' utility trailer (load of crushed concrete or top soil), but no squatting at all with luggage rack, bike rack, or jeep tub trailer.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom