'85 CJ-7 with 360 AMC

'85 CJ-7 with 360 AMC
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1985 cj-7; Restored by "The Jeep Farm". AMC 360. I don't know anything else about the Jeep. I'm motor illiterate.
Good morning everyone.
I have a 1985 CJ seven which was recently rebuilt. I purchase a 360 AMC motor. My jeep has side pipes on it (if that matters).
Two things that are wrong with the motor. Sometimes in a high gear, fourth gear, when I step on the gas it goes pop pop pop pop pop with a hesitation in power.
Additionally, the exhaust smell seems to be excessive. It has gotten worse over time.
Is there anything that I can do for both items? Specifically in the short term the exhaust smell.
You're talking to the least technical person when it comes to motors.

Good morning everyone.
I have a 1985 CJ seven which was recently rebuilt. I purchase a 360 AMC motor. My jeep has side pipes on it (if that matters).
Two things that are wrong with the motor. Sometimes in a high gear, fourth gear, when I step on the gas it goes pop pop pop pop pop with a hesitation in power.
Additionally, the exhaust smell seems to be excessive. It has gotten worse over time.
Is there anything that I can do for both items? Specifically in the short term the exhaust smell.
You're talking to the least technical person when it comes to motors.

Welcome to the forum - I think you'll enjoy your time here.... but be forewarned - we will attempt to spend your money every chance we get...

If you can fill out as much information as you can about the Jeep you will get a more accurate response - occasionally symptoms will vary with equipment. On a cursory guess, sounds like you have a timing or accelerator pump issue. The unburied fuel smell makes me think timing.

Stand by for the more carb educated folks than I.....

I would definitely start looking at your carb and timing, any trash coming from the gas tank? Look in your fuel filters to see, do you like side pies on your Jeep?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would definitely start looking at your carb and timing, any trash coming from the gas tank? Look in your fuel filters to see, do you like side pies on your Jeep?

Thanks. I need to take it to a mechanic. I'll read them this list.
On the pipes; I love them. My wife on the other hand, not so much. Here is a link to it idling while in AZ before I took delivery of it
1985 CJ5 – The Jeep Farm

Side bar. The guy that built my jeep, built one for Chris Stapleton just before mine went out the door. It's just inside his album cover. If any of you guys are fans it's a pretty neat story

Uh seriously jealous that's such a good looking and sounding Jeep congrats

First thing I would do is to look for vacuum leaks.
Put a wrench on the intake manifold bolts and make sure they are 'TITE'.
Then ck the nuts on the carbs base.
I would also suggest premium grade fuel........
I would also call the Jeep Farm and get the build specs on that motor. Ask them what the issue might be, while you're at it.
LG

you can check for a leak at the base of the carb by spraying carb or brake cleaner around the base of the carb and see if the idle increases if it does then you have a bad gasket

Follow what the others have said ....... and nobody has said this yet, I imagine they are being one-step-at-a-time focusing on the stumble. After all that's the truly technical issue.

Now about that exhaust smell, sure some of it is likely related to the above issue, the rest is related to the shorty exhaust pipes. You don't sound like a young hot rod oriented type, with maturity the sound of those pipes is great at first, then becomes truly annoying. Then there is the smell. Your cloths likely will stink like exhaust fumes. You might not notice it but others will, like a smoker. He doesn't smell like smoke .... ask his non-smoking friends about that. In the right weather conditions the exhaust will settle in the still area behind the windshield, not good. Especially for your health, carbon monoxide is not good for your health. ..... You've got a very nice jeep, spend the extra money to extend the exhaust pipe to behind the rear wheels or to the rear corners. Don't go straight out the back. Mine was like that, the thing sounded mean, but tended to suck exhaust fumes into the passenger compartment of the jeep.

Thanks for the info guys. My father in law is kind of handy. I'll have him run though these options first.

I have a 1985 CJ7 w/ an AMC 360 motor. Replaced starter, solenoid, relay & battery and Jeep still won't start. Makes clicking noise. Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks

I have a 1985 CJ7 w/ an AMC 360 motor. Replaced starter, solenoid, relay & battery and Jeep still won't start. Makes clicking noise. Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks

:ww::banana::dbanana:

Would be best to start a separate thread on this.........;)
The last post in this tread was over 2 years ago.

LG

I feel like an idiot but I cannot find the NEW THREAD button to save my life. And I'm relatively computer savvy… Do I have to have a special permission?

Nah - I know where it is and I still hunt for it on occasion.....

If you are on the website:

66a044730dc3142b9b436f05d1f0c930.jpg

Sent via my universal translator

If it’s clicking then check your battery voltage make sure it’s at least 12 volts, clean your grounds make sure you have good cables and a good ground it should start up

My first CJ had a real knack for loosening the ground cable at the starter. Check every connection. Twice.

Sent via my universal translator

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks