Build Thread 81 cj7 rebuild

Build Thread 81 cj7 rebuild
Quick question regarding the transfer case. I assume the transfer case and transmission can be pulled together as one unit? The transmission looks like it is free at this point, just held on by the transfer case. Shop manual says "disconnect propeller shaft from transfer case" in regard to removing transfer case. My question is what is the easiest way to do that? Should I open up the joint where they are connected? Bolts at that joint have a funny head, like I will need a special tool. Can I disconnect from the transfer case without messing with the joint itself? This is the front propeller shaft, rear is disconnected, it just pulled apart in middle of shaft. Thanks!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Remove the 4 bolts on the 2 straps that hold the u joint on the yoke, no need to mess with u joint, when done good idea to wrap tape around end of drive shaft so joint doesn't come apart while off the jeep I would think you would have a 6 point or 12 point bolt on your straps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome to the the forum! Glad to see you're jumping in on the build. The guys here will help you out for sure. Keep up the work, keep us posted !

So the transmission came out easily enough today, but unfortunately I have a T4 or T5 transmission, not the T176 as I thought. I'm not sure if it is a T4 or T5, I didn't get to drive it long enough to see if it had a 5th gear and the casting number on the main case is common for a T5, while the casting # on the tailhousing is more typical for a T4 (see below)

b461932dc4de42956f02c1145f84f71d.jpg

6b8b5aeec47ac9e079aaeb843982e0e5.jpg

From my research, it sounds like it doesn't matter which it is, neither is a good transmission. My question, before I start to tear it down and rebuild it, is should I even bother or should I just replace it since I have it out? Assuming I should, what should I replace it with? Also, anyone interested in a used T4 or T5 transmission?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So the transmission came out easily enough today, but unfortunately I have a T4 or T5 transmission, not the T176 as I thought. I'm not sure if it is a T4 or T5, I didn't get to drive it long enough to see if it had a 5th gear and the casting number on the main case is common for a T5, while the casting # on the tailhousing is more typical for a T4 (see below)

b461932dc4de42956f02c1145f84f71d.jpg

6b8b5aeec47ac9e079aaeb843982e0e5.jpg

From my research, it sounds like it doesn't matter which it is, neither is a good transmission. My question, before I start to tear it down and rebuild it, is should I even bother or should I just replace it since I have it out? Assuming I should, what should I replace it with? Also, anyone interested in a used T4 or T5 transmission?

Finding a T176 would be great

if you shift thru the gears with it on the floor the shift pattern will tell you what trans you have in 30 seconds or less by the shift pattern

the rebuild kit for the T5 is $160 you could rebuild it and run it til you find what you want :chug: and you get a discount with Morris from this site
Crown Transmission Overhaul Kit - BK-T5M

Don't throw that T5 out with the dishwater. :D
I've run one since I bought my Jeep. :eek::)
What R&P ratio do you have? What tire size will you use?
Might give these folks a call.......
http://www.jwjeep.com/

Be afraid of anydangthing with the Crown name on it. Same for Omix.
LG

:agree: with LG. What do you plan on doing with you Jeep? That should be the first question that everybody answers. That will determine how you attack your rebuild. Mine will be a DD with mild off-road, so I don't need super heavy duty monster mud tires, etc.

Don't throw that T5 out with the dishwater. :D
I've run one since I bought my Jeep. :eek::)
What R&P ratio do you have? What tire size will you use?
Might give these folks a call.......
http://www.jwjeep.com/

Be afraid of anydangthing with the Crown name on it. Same for Omix.
LG

After I replied I thought about you Lumpy, seems like so many want to trash the T4/5 and you have been running one since 1985, I didn't have a problem with my T4 or T5 but I didn't run either long enough to comment on their reliability, I ditched em when swapping to an AMC 360

I wouldn't run a T5 behind any '8'.
That said-I do have a spare T5 sit'n on the shelf ready, just in case.
It has sat there for 20+ yrs. :D
LG

Thanks everyone, I appreciate hearing from those with real world experience, rather than just reading something on a website. I got this jeep purely for recreation. We have some property about an hour and a half drive from where we live, it is undeveloped, just some trails through it. I would like for it to get me there and back, and otherwise will just be to tool around the property, explore with the kids, etc. Definitely nothing extreme, but will be on and off-trail. The main thing is reliability. I don't want to get out there in the middle of nowhere without cell service and it conk out on me. If I did not have to shell out a grand or more for a new transmission, that would be great. Previous owner told me that everything seemed solid with the transmission, but he also told me the engine was running great and that turned out not to be the case. As for some of the other questions, it has 33s on it, don't plan on changing them. Not sure about R&p ratio, how do I find that out and what does it tell me? Thanks for everyone's help!

The 'build tags' might be still on the front or rear axles near the diff cover.
To the right of the rear diff. cover there is a flat area. You may need a wire brush for this. Brush the area and look for a letter stamp.
LG

Wow, I didn't realize how long it had been since I was really able to work on the keep until I saw the date of my last post. I have at least made a little progress and made some decisions. I was able to get into the transmission and the gears really had a lot of wear. I was going to have to replace a lot in there, so I decided to just swap in another tranny. After looking at several options, I decided to go with a t176, mostly for lower cost and ease of swap. I had trouble finding one though, jwjeep had a used one, but they wanted more for that than I ended up paying for a reman.

adffae30ccc68c69565e2c105fee5e20.jpg

One question I had was if I could reuse my bellhousing from the t4. Looks like it would work, 2 holes line up already, looks like I could just tap 2 new holes for the other bolts?

I also decided to hire out the rebuild of my Dana 300 to save some time and I got a twin stick for that as well.

I finally got some time today, so I started working a little on the interior, starting with the dash with an eye toward tackling the electrical next. Here are a couple of before pics:

3196c0aa7e10ba936ef46d0ff05ec7b5.jpg

6263142d5ac3061eea5a36a1e063c0fd.jpg

Pretty standard I guess.

Here's after I got the dash panel out

45d22d96df57b5be1957384d3deec76f.jpg

I think I will not go back with the dash pad, I like the more retro look without it. I was thinking of replacing the wiring with a painless harness, anyone have any experience with those?

Also one final question, regarding gearing. I was able to determine that the Dana 30 has gear ratio of 2.73, at least that is what the stamp says. I understand that is not super common, but not unheard of either. It has 33 inch tires and now a different transmission, should I re-gear - assuming the previous owner did not when he put on 33s? Also, how could I tell if it has been re-geared, would the gears themselves have some markings?

Thanks much, am off this week, hope to get more done, post some more progress.

I finally got some time today, so I started working a little on the interior, starting with the dash with an eye toward tackling the electrical next. Here are a couple of before pics:

Here's after I got the dash panel out

45d22d96df57b5be1957384d3deec76f.jpg

I was thinking of replacing the wiring with a painless harness, anyone have any experience with those?

Skip the painless, way too much money, and it doesn't exactly match the OEM harness. Get a good wiring diagram ( www.colorwiringdiagrams.com ) and rebuild your harness. I did mine and save $100's of dollars. Good wire, soldering iron, heat shrink, and a heat gun will get you a harness that is near original, and looks good too. I wrapped all of mine in wire loom to boot. Looks really good now. Take one circuit at a time with the color diagram and you'll have no problems.

Thanks PB, but at this point cost is not the major factor. I have more money than time these days, as evidenced by the fact it has taken me so long to get to this point. That's not to say cost is not a factor at all, if it wasn't, I would have just paid someone to do all the work or just bought a jeep that was already done. But since I bought one that needed some work and I am doing a lot of the work myself, I feel like I have some "built in savings". If it would truly be easier and quicker to replace with a new harness, would prefer to go that route.

Looking at some of the other threads, looks like most have had a good experience with the painless harness. The other good option looks like the centech, anyone have any comments on one versus the other?

Well, took even longer this time for my next post! What I thought would be a few months' project has turned into far more. I'm sure I won't break the record for longest rebuild, but maybe I will come close.

Anyway, I have been working when I can and i am doing much more to the jeep than I thought I would originally. The more I do, the more I find needs to be done. I finally feel like I have reached the "rebuild" phase though, rather than just the tear down phase.

Here are a few pics:

cc15a78ac47d1b73394cfc5f26d28a20.jpg

I ground away or treated all the surface rust, repainted the firewall and the front 2/3 of the frame, will get the rest when I get to the rear end.

66a66dd7c522e52a0028bc92e47837bb.jpg

I have the interior all cleaned out and ready to rebuild.

d35a8415142afb0fdb5ee5281f3cd9dc.jpg

Got my block back from the machine shop and cleaned and painted it. I have everything I need to reassemble the engine, so hopefully that will happen soon.

ecb4a0e3e941ee32cd8da89f4a23d697.jpg

f50f2fde5bd6f8a710d06ad82e45d093.jpg

Today I finished the left front axle work - new OME yj springs, shackles, skid plates, bearings, seals, brakes, etc.

Ready to move to the right front, 1 down, only 3 to go - well, and all the other stuff in between. Hoping it will go a little faster now that I have some idea what I am doing. Maybe I can post again sooner than 6 months!

Sweet I'm glad you are still going after it, looking good

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks