Build Thread '81 CJ7 full rebuild with Cummins

Build Thread '81 CJ7 full rebuild with Cummins

JARHEAD1371

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
'81 CJ7, Cummins R2.8, D300, new D44s, new AX15
I'm working on the full rebuild of my '81 CJ7 Renegade. I have torn down everything, rebuilding the parts that I will keep and replacing most everything else. The specs are: Cummins R2.8, new AX15 from Novak, rebuilt original D300 by Novak, new Dana 44 axles from East Coast Gear Supply with 60.5" width, original body and frame, galvanized dipped frame, other parts from Axis, Quickdraw, and other places that I'm sure forgetting right now.

I plan on making a video of how the build is right now, and continual progress. I am building my CJ exactly how I want it. I plan on this being my daily driver for the rest of my life if possible (I'm 41 right now). I have a slight lift (1.5"-2" I believe) and I'm running 31x10.5R15 tires, and I don't plan on going bigger than maybe 33's someday but I'll probably stick with the 31's. This is a family project and we are not in a huge hurry to complete it. It is a rolling chassis right now and my goal is to have it finished by June.

Attachments

• Copy of 20190416_133234.jpg
    Copy of 20190416_133234.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 77
  • Copy of download_20190510_171240.jpg
    Copy of download_20190510_171240.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 94
  • 1564074348465.jpg
    1564074348465.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 74
  • 20190810_135500.jpg
    20190810_135500.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 79
  • Resized_20190817_121900 (1).jpg
    Resized_20190817_121900 (1).jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 155
Welcome aboard from a tad south of you!! Sounds like you have a whopper of a jump on this thing...

Alrighty - Its been a couple weeks....... where are the update? Pic??? The elusive video??? You may only be 41, but some of us are standing next to a big hole in the ground, and don't have time for lollygaggin' around. I mean, geez - I have buzzards circling my house most days - let's get a move on...

(If you'll just post up various pics of your project we'll be more than entertained )

Nice ! Looks like this is going to be a great build. Looking forward to seeing it.

Man this year has been killing me! I'm a middle school science teacher and I was moved from 8th grade to 7th grade this year, so I basically have to start over with my materials. I won't be able to work on the CJ for the next couple months since we just started wrestling season, and I'm the head coach. I will be working on the body here and there, but March I will be able to make some progress.

The wrestling season is almost over and I can't wait to work on the CJ. It looks like I'll be taking off from work next year in order to finish the CJ completely and get the house ready to sell. We are moving to the Huntsville, Al area next summer. I'll be sure and take plenty of pictures and vids for everyone.

Looking forward to seeing the pictures and videos of the jeep and especially the Cummins. Are you moving to become a rocket scientist in Huntsville ?

wow dude thats a really cool build. I have family thats been in Huntsville since the 60s, i have always liked it there

Looking forward to seeing the pictures and videos of the jeep and especially the Cummins. Are you moving to become a rocket scientist in Huntsville ?

I really wish I was that smart! My wife works at a very secure government building in DC and she has several jobs waiting on her at Redstone. We are looking for a place with decent weather and a much more affordable land than NOVA.

wow dude thats a really cool build. I have family thats been in Huntsville since the 60s, i have always liked it there

We haven't even been there yet, but my wife works with a guy (call sign Bama) and he has sold us on the area. We will be checking it out this spring or summer, but that hasn't stopped me from looking at land for a few months now.

I really wish I was that smart! My wife works at a very secure government building in DC and she has several jobs waiting on her at Redstone. We are looking for a place with decent weather and a much more affordable land than NOVA.

Huntsville is one of the fastest growing areas of the state - has one of the highest concentrations of PHd's in the nation.

Its a nice area you'll like it a lot better than NOVA - same place I exited from 15years ago to move down here.

Lol my uncle happens to be one of those phds he used to work for NASA years ago

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks