Help 80 Jeep CJ7 151 Iron Duke Lower Thermostat Housing

Help 80 Jeep CJ7 151 Iron Duke Lower Thermostat Housing

skipW

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1980 CJ7, 151, SR4, D300, D30, AMC20
I have a crack in the lower Thermostat housing at the threaded outlet and am unable to find a replacement so far. GM part #10005275. Has anyone had any luck fixing these cracks with brazing/welding or JB Weld?

Attachments

• IMG_4962.JPG
    IMG_4962.JPG
    125.7 KB · Views: 16
Just an FYI. That engine was also in some GM cars so maybe a salvage yard. Wonder if someone could make with a 3D printer

Someone with a TIG welder could easily fix it fir you.

thanks for replies. I am making up a list of GM vehicles that could have that engine. I understand that the Grumman U S Post Office mail delivery vehicles have it as well.
I have been reading forum traffic on TIG welding it, and it seems about 50/50 for/against. I am sure there are those that can, and those that think they can. Also saw something about making surrounding cast metal brittle from the heat, weakening it. There is also ‘Muggy’ welding which looks like brazing. I have a lead on a shop within 100 miles of my location that specializes in pot iron repair, so will look at that.
I want to try to get it right the first time, since they seem to be irreplaceable. I like the 3-D printer idea, and am sure that is coming fast!

thanks for replies. I am making up a list of GM vehicles that could have that engine. I understand that the Grumman U S Post Office mail delivery vehicles have it as well.
I have been reading forum traffic on TIG welding it, and it seems about 50/50 for/against. I am sure there are those that can, and those that think they can. Also saw something about making surrounding cast metal brittle from the heat, weakening it. There is also ‘Muggy’ welding which looks like brazing. I have a lead on a shop within 100 miles of my location that specializes in pot iron repair, so will look at that.
I want to try to get it right the first time, since they seem to be irreplaceable. I like the 3-D printer idea, and am sure that is coming fast!

Curious if you ever had any luck with finding this part? I need the same thing.

If you do need the part, take the part# 10005275 by the local chevy dealer and have the parts guy do a search for it. They can tell you all the alternate part#'s it's listed under and also if any dealer has it in stock, nation wide.
They can also tell you which vehicles the part fits. If you want to go junkyard diving.

If you do need the part, take the part# 10005275 by the local chevy dealer and have the parts guy do a search for it. They can tell you all the alternate part#'s it's listed under and also if any dealer has it in stock, nation wide.
They can also tell you which vehicles the part fits. If you want to go junkyard diving.
This is fantastic advice. Thank you! Gotta get past the holidays here and will hope to try this in the next couple of weeks. Striking out everywhere else.

Seriously considering just doing an engine swap.

Get a threaded aluminum nipple from an electrical supply house, screw it on to your cracked housing, and weld as needed. Cut off opposite threaded end of nipple and now you can clamp the hose. This is not a tight tolerance or precision component. Keep enjoying your fuel saving four banger.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks