80 cj5 suspension question

80 cj5 suspension question

Jimmyp

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
80 cj5, 305.
I am beginning to replace the suspension on my CJ5 and noticed there is leaf springs and coil springs. Is this normal? I would assume it is one or the other but am new to Cj’s.

IMG_1546.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is a PO mod, not factory. Factory was just leaf springs with plain shocks.

That is a PO mod, not factory. Factory was just leaf springs with plain shocks.

Is it needed. I bought new suspension but it does not include the coil springs. Should I buy them or junk it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd ditch the coil springs.

I'd ditch the coil springs.

Me too...would think that the extra coils on the shocks would make for an even stiffer/jerky ride. You'll be just fine with normal shocks.

Just to throw some light at why the po might have put coil springs on it. About 30 years ago a local guy to me started a small earth working company and his first piece of equipment was a small Case 310 buldozer. It weighed about 5,000 pounds and all he had to haul it was his CJ 7. I'm not suggesting it was safe but he hauled it around for about 3 years untill he could buy something else to haul it.

Sent from my LG-LS777 using Tapatalk

Get rid of those coil over shocks and those homemade shackles.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks