Engine 79 CJ Ignition Module Issue

Engine 79 CJ Ignition Module Issue

red79

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
'79 CJ-7, 258, T-150, Dana 20
Hello all. I'm having an issue that appears to be fairly common, but am looking for insight as to best options from those who have been there. My issue is that the ignition module on my 79 CJ7 is oozing its epoxy down the drivers fender. I'm not sure when it will go bad, but I'd like to replace. My question is whether there is any issue just replacing with the $30ish part available at O'Reilly's. Seems worth a shot, but is this ill-advised? Is there an upgrade that I should consider instead?

I should note that this is just a rig that we run country roads on nice nights, drive very light off road trails and do ice cream runs. I like to keep a mostly stock look and am not looking to squeeze more power out of the 258.

Thanks for any insight or direction.

Attachments

• 20220813_192420.jpg
    20220813_192420.jpg
    272.4 KB · Views: 12
Be careful of the Crown modules. Mostly :dung: from my experience and hearing from friends. The MSD is a good option if you don't want to go the GM HEI route. That's a bit pricey though. Another less expensive but good options is the Echlin TP 44 by Napa.

Be careful of the Crown modules. Mostly :dung: from my experience and hearing from friends. The MSD is a good option if you don't want to go the GM HEI route. That's a bit pricey though. Another less expensive but good options is the Echlin TP 44 by Napa.
Thanks for the reply. I'll keep this in mind. Is the 'Crown module' synonymous with all of the offerings in the $30 price range? Meaning, any at that price are questionable? (I noticed the NAPA you mentioned was about $100, which is why I ask).

Also, can anyone tell me if running my current module until it fails would do any other damage to the Jeep, or would it just strand ne without spark? And will I know when it's about to go via rough idling or misfiring, etc.?

my thought would be why is it weeping goo? seems its is overheated from some internal fault.

Last edited:
I would find a replacement. That goo will eat the paint if you have any left.

Thanks everybody. Your comments made me think of an additional question---Is this likely an ICM problem causing the heat and ICM leak, or is there another possible issue that will just cause a new ICM to have the same problem immediately? Any direction experience with this in any of your rigs?

Most likely a heat issue with your current module. That internal heat buildup is melting the epoxy they sealed it with. I would replace it now rather than wait for a failure, especially because you don't want to be stranded when it fails.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts folks. I'll heed the advice and pick up a new module. My Jeep has mainly sat for the last several years, so might do a tune up while I'm at it!

If you have old fuel in your tank, I would remove and put some new in.

I had a similar issue last week except my CJ5 wouldn’t run after starting. Start circuit was fine, but the ICM was toast and the run circuit wasn’t getting juice. I picked up one of the cheap modules at the local parts store and then decided to bypass it altogether and went with a push button ignition and a hidden key with a kill switch. I’m keeping the new ICM in the Jeep as a backup, though.

Took some decent troubleshooting and wire chasing but it works like a charm now.

364E27F3-799F-41EF-977A-AA0C7F8342E2.jpeg

I had a similar issue last week except my CJ5 wouldn’t run after starting. Start circuit was fine, but the ICM was toast and the run circuit wasn’t getting juice. I picked up one of the cheap modules at the local parts store and then decided to bypass it altogether and went with a push button ignition and a hidden key with a kill switch. I’m keeping the new ICM in the Jeep as a backup, though.

Took some decent troubleshooting and wire chasing but it works like a charm now.

View attachment 76191
where did you get that ignition/push button setup?

I did a push button ignition also, but I used a kit with a module you wire in under the dash and a remote. So now push button start on the dash and remote start from a fob. Included an alarm as well.

Write-up

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom